Five Education are looking for teaching assistants to work across Bristol with disaffected young people who attend an alternative education provision (scattered across several sites). The teaching assistants for these roles should be very confident and calm. There is a certain amount of challenging behaviour that happens with these students.
You will be working with other staff members to keep the students engaged in their work and acting as a positive role model. The candidates will need to be drivers with access to a car and business insurance. Several pupils at this provision need to be picked up and bought to the base in the morning. The children who attend these sites will have a range of SEND including SEMH (Social, Emotional and Mental Health needs) and Autism.
Responsibilities and duties:
- Working with the lead teacher to help engage students as much as possible.
- Working with disaffected students who have a range of SEND
- Working with small groups or in a 1:1 setting
- Be flexible and willing to work with students outside the classroom
- Using de-escalation techniques to ensure pupils are calm and able to access the full range of education offered
- Taking the students to activities and other sites
- Working with the students to engage them in education after periods of missed or broken education
- Providing a positive role model for young people
- Providing feedback and helping with assessments
- A flexible and resourceful approach
- You will be able to demonstrate positive reinforcement
- Experience supporting children with SEMH/ Challenging Behaviour
- Have a right to work in the UK (A Valid Visa)
- Two recent child based references and relevant DBS/ Police checks
- A full driving licence, access to a car and business insurance
- Able to work 8.30-3.30, 5 days per week term time only
Five Education is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all of the staff we employ to share this commitment. Successful applicants will be required to undergo checks including a barred list check, reference checks and will need to have a DBS; there will also be a face to face interview.