JOIN BROMPTON BICYCLE IN CREATING URBAN FREEDOM FOR HAPPIER LIVES!
Our purpose is to change the way people live in cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere, we can make cities happier places to live. We want to increase people's freedom, improve their health and reduce society's impact on the environment. We make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975. Brompton now offers 16.5 million combinations on the bike, every one of which is still made by hand in London. It is now estimated that there are over 80,000 Brompton bikes in London. Three-time winner of the Queen's Award for Enterprise, the company sells over 45,000 bikes in 44 countries around the world every year. Sales have been growing at a fast rate with the help of Brompton Junction retail stores in London, Barcelona, Munich, Beijing, Milan, Hamburg, Shanghai, Chengdu, Amsterdam, Tokyo and Kobe and we don't plan on stopping there.
Brompton sells a product with a renowned design that over the last 40 years has become recognised and respected around the world. We are now applying the latest engineering techniques, materials and advanced manufacturing methods to build new products to continue our success into the next decades. Brompton is seeking an outstanding experienced engineer to lead and grow our Engineering teams. The successful candidate will bring expertise in engineering science, design for manufacture, technology, reliability and safety engineering and product development to drive the adoption of new advanced materials, technologies and production processes into our products and our business. As part of the top tier management group you will collaborate with peers across the business to shape the Brompton's product and engineering strategy. You will be a driver of engineering excellence and a mentor for your engineering managers and their teams.
You will be a key figure as we take a thriving and iconic British brand into the next phase of its development.Skills
- Excellent engineering science fundamentals; materials, stress, product life and failure.
- Highly experienced in the use of FEA and other engineering simulation tools. A track record in selecting and applying technology to achieve outstanding engineering results
- Design optimisation skills, the ability to produce correctly engineered and efficient engineering solutions.
- Engineering materials knowledge. Researching, piloting, understanding and selecting the most appropriate material and manufacturing solutions for given requirements.
- Knowledge of composite and metallic materials
- Experience of developing product for automated fabrication techniques
- Experience in reliability engineering and safety engineering disciplines. Track record of using statistical tools to cover predicted life, mean time to failure etc
- Turning research into competitive advantage. Gathering raw data, producing engineering insight and feeding this into requirements or constraints
- Systems engineering and the alignment of mechanical, electrical, electronic and software specialists to produce electromechanical solutions
- Use of risk management tools
- Requirements management and balancing competing requirements to deliver the most appropriate overall solution
- Sound understanding of high-volume manufacturing technology; able to confidently participate in shaping manufacturing strategy with internal and external suppliers
- The ability to be the voice of engineering within an organisation and collaborate effectively with peers to align engineering strategy against business goals
- Excellent people management skills
- A progression through specialist technical roles through management and into strategically accountable positions
- A track record of successfully engaging with partner business and research institutions and building productive relationships to develop new IP
- A track record of mentoring and developing mid-level and junior engineers
- Proven leadership experience. Ability to network effectively with other senior management and engage at the top level of an organisation
- Experience of developing technology roadmaps and engineering strategy to support a business's long-term goals
- Excellent commercial awareness. Direct experience of accurately estimating and controlling costs in a project
- Delivery of well-engineered mass-produced technical products
- Delivery of highly optimised performance products
- Delivery of system solutions incorporating mechanical, electrical, electronic and software elements.
Job requirementsExperienceQUALIFICATIONS AND PERSONAL
Master's or Bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering discipline
A minimum of 12 years of relevant industry experience.
An interest in cycling and a desire to create products that improve people's lives