JOIN BROMPTON BICYCLE IN CREATING URBAN FREEDOM FOR HAPPIER LIVES!
Our purpose is to change the way people live in cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere, we can make cities happier places to live. We want to increase people's freedom, improve their health and reduce society's impact on the environment. We make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975. Brompton now offers 16.5 million combinations on the bike, every one of which is still made by hand in London. It is now estimated that there are over 80,000 Brompton bikes in London. Three-time winner of the Queen's Award for Enterprise, the company sells over 45,000 bikes in 44 countries around the world every year. Sales have been growing at a fast rate with the help of Brompton Junction retail stores in London, Barcelona, Munich, Beijing, Milan, Hamburg, Shanghai, Chengdu, Amsterdam, Tokyo and Kobe and we don't plan on stopping there.
Brompton has ambitious plans for growth over the next 5 years and a key part of this is the introduction of a new products, which includes new-to-market products and running changes to existing products. This role will be part of the NPI team of engineers responsible for the productionisation of the new products, working out the most efficient way to manufacture the new designs and implementing their manufacture in the West London factory.Objectives
This manufacturing engineering role will be responsible for productionisation of new products, the main objectives include:
- Flawless integration of the assembly of the new products into the main Brompton assembly line.
- Ramp up through pre-production builds, planning and executing appropriately.
- Setting up a new manufacturing facility in Sheffield, planning the layout, processes and procedures.
- Main duties
- Work closely with the Design department to ensure final product specifications are suitable for mass production. Ensure robust feedback loops between departments, and communicate lessons learnt once products are in production.
- Produce Production Impact Analyses for the suggested designs, analysing the effects on the whole
- factory and distilling this to a few key KPI's, such as cost to manufacture.
- Take the prototype designs and develop suitable manufacturing procedures, including automated processes where deemed necessary.
- Perform verification trials and evaluate the ease and repeatability of the manufacture of new products.
- Ensure the highest quality throughout, minimise teething issues and faults through PFMEA and formal root-cause analysis investigations.
- Write SOP's to define how the new products are to be manufactured.
- Work closely with the in-house Tooling & Equipment department to produce in-house jigs and fixtures, produce requirement specifications, perform validation trials, produce installation plans and train operators.
- When needed to purchase new equipment: liaise with machinery suppliers, produce CAPEX budget requests and business cases, negotiate new machinery purchases. Install equipment, perform risk assessments, write standard operating procedures and train operators.
- Work closely with the supply chain department, help analyse suppliers' processes and undertake
- make/buy calculations to compare in-house manufacture with external.
- Work closely with the Quality Assurance team to ensure that defects are minimised but are also recorded and acted upon.
- Implement and handover a Continuous Improvement program once production has started to maximise capacity, quality and efficiency. Ensure that processes are capable and stable using SPC methodology.
Job requirementsSkills and Requirements
- Technical experience of LEAN principles and other manufacturing theories.
- Problem solving experience using Root Cause Analysis, DMAIC or other techniques.
- Exceptional self-motivation and a pro-active confidence needed to identify and prioritise work.
- Project management skills and the ability to balance short-term fire-fighting with long term improvement.
- A hands-on practical approach.
- Good communication skills and the ability to produce clear, precise work instructions.
- Knowledge of Health and Safety law and best practice.
An Engineering degree and the ability to demonstrate a solid engineering background in a relevant environment are essential, as is experience bringing new products to market. The successful candidate will have at least 3 years' experience in manufacturing, with specific NPI experience.The Person
The person occupying this role will be able to meet and build relationships with people with ease and use researched information when solving problems and apply logic when handling conflict. The ideal person will take on an energetic and proactive working style and seek to get things done while dealing with a variety of tasks.
The successful candidate will be expected to support those who need assistance and encourages others to perform to the highest standards to complete tasks. They will be able to remain confident when dealing with challenging situations and encourage others to come up with creative and practical solutions to problems that may arise. The ideal candidate will be able to commit themselves to the task at hand and go beyond the limit to achieve their key objectives.
Brompton utilises Personal Profile Analysis and Psychometric Assessment during the recruitment process. This allows to identify the ideal behavioural requirements for each job function in terms of Dominance, Influence, Steadiness and Compliance. The ideal behavioural profile for this role is set out below:Influence (High I)
The ability to establish and cultivate inter-personal relationships and participate with others is advantageous to this role.
The ability to create positive and friendly workplace will be expected of the person occupying this role.
Influencing and motivational skills are critical requirements for this role.Compliance (High C)
The candidate will take a conventional, systematic and tactical approach to variety of tasks.
Compliance with corporate values and culture could be critical to long-term success.
The candidate will carefully consider their approach to problem solving.
Technical interests, specialist skills and experience are important to this role.Dominance (High D)
• The successful will be expected to deal with strong characters.
• An assertive, but not an aggressive, working style may be a requirement for this role.
• Some timely decision taking skills and experience are needed for this role.Steadiness (Low S)
• The ability to demonstrate flexibility in approach and persistence to complete assignments on time are important to this role.
• An energetic working style is needed for the more dynamic and fast paced demands of this job.