JOIN BROMPTON BICYCLE IN CREATING URBAN FREEDOM FOR HAPPIER LIVES!
Our purpose is to change the way people live in cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere, we can make cities happier places to live. We want to increase people's freedom, improve their health and reduce society's impact on the environment. We make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975. Brompton now offers 16.5 million combinations on the bike, every one of which is still made by hand in London. It is now estimated that there are over 80,000 Brompton bikes in London. Three-time winner of the Queen's Award for Enterprise, the company sells over 45,000 bikes in 44 countries around the world every year. Sales have been growing at a fast rate with the help of Brompton Junction retail stores in London, Barcelona, Munich, Beijing, Milan, Hamburg, Shanghai, Chengdu, Amsterdam, Tokyo and Kobe and we don't plan on stopping there.
This role will be pivotal in the improvement of existing electronic designs to upgrade the current Brompton Electric, followed by clean sheet design of future electric bicycle(s).
The role has a focus on the research and rapid development of technology to be implemented on Brompton Electric platforms, but will also involve design, development and testing of our commercial products.
We want someone practical, flexible and self-motivated to join our small, multi-disciplinary team of engineers and make their mark, where a broad experience in engineering is highly desirable.Main duties
- To research current and future technologies for application on Brompton Electric Bicycles
- To rapid prototype, develop and test electronics & software for future Brompton Electric Bicycles
- To research and develop optimal designs & algorithms using mathematics, modelling, and simulation
- To provide input and guidance on system design and requirements
- To aid core electronic / software development team where required
- To design and improve test equipment associated with Brompton Electric
- To report research findings clearly in technical reports
Job requirementsEssential Skills
- Experienced engineer with solid background in both electronics & software
- Experience with algorithm development, modelling, and simulation (MATLAB, Excel, Octave, etc)
- Experience designing with uC's, ADCs, & sensors ideally in an embedded context
- Experience with various levels of rigor from rapid prototype to semi-formal
- Confidence in general electronic & software fault finding
- Knowledge of system dynamics and control
- Ability to quickly synthesize information about new topics & fields
- Ability to work in a team or unsupervised as needed
- Good understanding of engineering principals, numeracy, and arithmetic skills
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Ability/willingness to cycle
- Knowledge and/or experience of systems engineering
- Experience of design for EMC/ESD and directive compliance
- Experience designing high reliability systems (Automotive, Defence, etc)
- Working knowledge of high-speed signalling & signal integrity
- Experience with PCB layout
- Experience with inverters and electric motor drives
- Deep knowledge of control systems theory
- Understanding of electric machines (PMSM/BLDC)
- Experience of product design, i.e. subjective design practices
- An awareness of Health and Safety regulations and compliance
Ideally the individual will have the following educational and professional qualifications or experience:
- Degree education in related subjects (computer science, systems engineering, electronics, electrical engineering, mechatronics, etc).
- The ability to demonstrate a solid engineering/technical background in a relevant environment.
- The ability to demonstrate hands on experience in a similar role.
- The successful candidate will have at least 3 years' relevant experience.