JOIN BROMPTON BICYCLE IN CREATING URBAN FREEDOM FOR HAPPIER LIVES!
Our purpose is to change the way people live in cities. By providing the means to commute or explore with a bike that you can take anywhere and store anywhere, we can make cities happier places to live. We want to increase people's freedom, improve their health and reduce society's impact on the environment. We make more than just a bicycle, and we are more than just a bicycle company.
We continue to make the Brompton in West London, where we started in 1975. Brompton now offers 16.5 million combinations on the bike, every one of which is still made by hand in London. It is now estimated that there are over 80,000 Brompton bikes in London. Three-time winner of the Queen's Award for Enterprise, the company sells over 45,000 bikes in 44 countries around the world every year. Sales have been growing at a fast rate with the help of Brompton Junction retail stores in London, Barcelona, Munich, Beijing, Milan, Hamburg, Shanghai, Chengdu, Amsterdam, Tokyo and Kobe and we don't plan on stopping there.
We are looking for an experienced design leader, one with a proven experience of generating solid briefs that are taken right through to become successful commercial products.
We need you to be strategic in your approach and be able to work with the team to develop projects for the longer term. Projects that push the boundaries of what we are capable of so we can continuously improve the products we manufacture for our customers.
Leading the design of the next generation of Brompton productsDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work closely with R and D project manager and team to generate meaningful direction to our 2- 5 year product development
- Draw upon the resources of mechanical engineering and industrial design to help produce presentation materials for consideration of the wider team and management.
- Input to the business case for new product concepts, including tooling budgets and expected return on investment.
- As part of the team you will conduct research relevant to each project covering:
- Design empathy
- Technical aspects of mechanical principles involved
- Appropriate manufacturing methods based on Brompton capabilities and state of the art methods
- Create briefs, specifications and design verification plans based on project requirements.
- Generate concepts for new developments in line with project briefs and specifications.
- Present ideas through sketches and hand-made prototypes for selection by the wider team.
- Carry out detailed mechanical design including
- 3D CAD modelling using Solidworks
- 2D critical dimension drawings
- 3D prototyping (using internal and external resources)
- Agree the mechanical, aesthetic, and ergonomic approach with the wider design team
- Throughout your role you will mainly liaise with:
- Product management
- Mechanical and product design teams
- Production engineering
- NPI sourcing team.
- Portfolio demonstrating experience in mechanism and aesthetic design.
- Experience in a similar role ideally within automotive or consumer product development.
- High level of CAD ability covering solid and advanced surfacing techniques. Preferably Solidworks.
- An in depth understanding of static and fatigue strength requirements of your designs.
- Experience of FEA is an advantage but not essential.
- Experience of project ownership from concept through to mass production and beyond.
- Proven ability to produce designs to specified lead times and costs.
- Ability to mentor and guide junior team members.
- Ability to manage complex development projects through R and D to manufacture.
- Supervisory experience and the ability to check/approve designs for release.
- Experience of relevant manufacturing techniques:
- Injection moulding
- Die casting
- Welding and brazing
- Paint and coating application
- Surface treatment
- Heat treatment
- Spring specification
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in mechanical or product design engineering.
- A minimum of 10+ years of relevant industry experience.