Job Title - Press Officer Location - London Rates - £17.93 per hour
My client is looking to employ an experienced Press Officer
to be based in their London Office for an initial period of 6 months with a view to extending. As the Press Officer
you will be the first port of call for journalists and broadcasters wanting information and comment from the Commission and has key responsibilities for managing all aspects of media relations in a small and busy team.
What you will do:
Your experience will include:
- Deliver effective and measurable communications plans, identifying and achieving clear objectives using appropriate publications and media channels and building strong relationships with key media contacts
- Identify additional opportunities to 'Sell in' news stories to national, regional and charity sector press - developing and promoting the Commission's messages to agreed target audiences.
- Deal effectively with day to day press enquiries, working with colleagues across the Commission to agree responses.
- Produce well written and clear copy, including press releases, statements, blogs, articles Q&As and other materials for the media.
- Keep CEO, Chair, Directors and key media staff briefed on key current affairs stories and all relevant media coverage
- Take part in the out of hours press rota - this means that approximately one week in five you will be on call for evenings and the weekend. There is a small additional remuneration for this.
What you'll get in return
- Worked in busy PR office part of the day dealing with queries
- Be able to pick up queries - clear on deadlines and work back etc - know when to escalate
- Sense of prioritisation
- Dealing with stakeholders
- Experience of public sector of press/ comms plans for proactive pieces of work
- Integrated comms - not a campaigns person
- Direct recent experience of government press office work or similar would be the ideal - if not public sector -
- No political agenda background
- Someone with experience in busy government press office, triaging and fielding queries as well as experience putting together communication plans, materials, press releases
- Social media experience would be useful.
- Someone to hit the ground running
- Public sector ideally
Capita and our client understand what it is like to work as a contractor and we will do everything we can to make it a simple process for you - this includes dedicated on-boarding, extension teams and access to a web based timesheet portal giving you an ability to access and submit your timesheets wherever you are. What we hope you will do next
Help us find out more about you by completing our short application process - Click apply now. You will then be directed to a Capita owned microsite that will assist you with your application. Once completed you will then be contacted by the relevant recruiter.
Our client welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or another irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria.