Senior Network Engineer - Live Service / Operations
£55,000 (The role works a rotating shift pattern, which attracts a 15% allowance)
On Call allowance & overtime for out of hours work
The team work a two-week rotating shift pattern: -
07:00 - 15:00 Mon-Fri (Early Shift)
12:00 - 20:00 Mon -Thu
11:00 - 19:00 Fri (Late Shift)
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) along with Revenue & Customer Digital Technology Service (RCDTS) are embarking on an ambitious and challenging digital transformation programme which results in HMRC becoming one of the most digitally advanced tax authorities in the world.
Revenue & Customer Digital Technology Service (RCDTS) was setup in 2015 as a subsidiary of HMRC's Chief Digital & Information Officer Group and has one of the largest customer bases in the world.
This role sits within the business area; Enterprise Platform Services in the Network Services, Live Service Operations Team.
Networks Services support and maintain every aspect of the network including 200+ sites and 1000's of network devices that make up the HMRC estate.
HMRC has an in-house Networks Operations that is made up of Associate, Intermediate and Senior Engineers and an Incident Queue Management/Network Analysis function.
This role is for a Senior Engineer, which is the advanced level technical role for the team.
The Network Engineer (Senior) role provides second- and third-line support and is responsible for handling a personal workload to investigate, fix, diagnose and resolve incidents and problems across multiple network and security technologies for the HMRC estate.
Ensuring service levels are maintained and liaising with internal delivery groups, third parties, service management and the client.
Sound core networking/security skills are a crucial requirement for the role and requires an individual with especially solid skills in complex corporate networking.
The ideal candidate will be multi skilled and experienced in second- and third-line incident resolution and root cause analysis on corporate network technologies.
Additionally, the role will participate in activity maintaining the existing network estate involvement in the delivery of new services and infrastructure components into live support.
The role involves incident resolution (third line), root cause analysis, monitoring, traffic analysis/reporting and service improvement of Advanced IP networking (VLANs, HSRP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS-layer 2/3 switching, QoS, VPNs) and security infrastructure across multiple vendors.
The successful candidate will be expected to be available to travel across the UK to support HMRC sites and Data Centres.
Also lead on assessment of new technologies and new services, coaching (intermediate and associate) Network Engineers to develop and enhance skill levels and capabilities within the department.
A self-motivated individual with a drive to maintain professional and technical development. It is expected that the successful applicant will have a minimum:
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional or advanced Checkpoint certification.
The ideal candidate will have a good level of experience and expertise supporting some of the following technologies in a large corporate/government network:
- Check Point/Fortinet/McAfee Firewalls
- Encryption devices (AEP/L3 Catapan)
- Internet Proxy/Content Checking
- WAN Optimisation (Bluecoat)
- Network Load Balancing (Cisco/F5)
- Intrusion Detection (IBM)
- Wireless technologies
- Cloud (AWS/Azure) technologies
- BMC Tooling
- Detailed Network Packet Analysis
Due to the secure nature of the Networks systems essential for this role, the successful applicant must have a valid SC certification or willingness to undertake the process to obtain.
Requirements (Essential / Desirable)
- Ability to handle incidents of all priorities and devise resolutions, providing professional communications across a range of partners, internally and externally, and often under significant pressure.
- Ability to support different tasks simultaneously, whilst professionally liaising with customers, partners and suppliers
- Lead and manage Investigations allocated by Network Operations Manager.
- Attend technical meetings, change advisory boards, service reviews when required.
- Problem-solving skills in network technologies with an understanding of the ITIL 3 framework
- Proficient in leading associate/intermediate engineers in the complex, high priority and major incidents.
- Experience of creating and maintaining high quality user documentation, including process procedure and work instructions, following the internal quality framework
- A drive to remain up-to-date on current/future network and security technologies and gain certification in selected technology areas in order to conduct incident/problem resolution both in and out of hours
- Experience in communicating complex problems and solutions to a senior audience
- Experience of contributing to Continual Service Improvement initiatives.
- Effective awareness and management of risk within the NOC and feeding into wider delivery groups
Only suitable candidates will be contacted
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/90785173