2nd Line Infrastructure Engineer
Circa £32,000 per annum DOE
As the UK's largest independent producer of organic veg boxes, you can imagine that we're no ordinary e-commerce company. We deliver to more than 70,000 households every week, and run 3 farms, 2 pack houses, a butchery, a vegetable wholesaler and a restaurant! Every part of our company is enabled through technology, from the PDAs out on the fields, to our website and mobile apps. We are extraordinarily passionate about our products, the ethics we demand of ourselves in their supply, and the attention to detail we take in their delivery.
Our high expectations are rewarded by getting to be part of a fantastic business with amazing benefits. We are based in some of the most beautiful countryside in the world, in a modern solar-powered office with all the best start-up trimmings: good coffee, organic home-cooked breakfasts and lunches, top-end hardware and obviously an arcade machine. We are employee owned, and all co-owners share our profits, because we believe everyone should succeed together. When was the last time you heard birdsong while working? Walked down a path and saw the wildlife while having a go/no go meeting? Ate poached egg on toast during a review session? Chatted with a stakeholder over an organic coffee? This is life at Riverford.
About your role
Your role will see you working within a busy infrastructure team, who are responsible for delivering a reliable platform to run our internally hosted IT systems. The role will include a mixture of support and project work as we continue to improve and upgrade our systems.
You will work closely with our 1st line support desk, helping them solve complex technical problems, while striving to continuously improve our systems and documentation, enabling the support desk to become more self-sufficient and deliver a better service. Your role will see you learn new skills around our infrastructure, but we expect you to be an experienced individual who will be able to hit the ground running.
This role will also be responsible for the installation and maintenance of IT equipment at our remote sites around the country, including WiFi, IP phones and thin clients. You can therefore expect some travel throughout the year to these sites, especially where new or replacement equipment is required. Riverford are at the centre of several major IT projects, which pave the way for expansion in the coming years and are vital to our success going forwards.
The very nature of this role will also have some unsociable working as required. This is not the norm; however, certain changes can only be deployed out of hours and of course with travel to other sites there will be an element of travel time.
What we expect of a 2nd Line Infrastructure Engineer
You will understand the importance of being responsive in a 2nd line support capacity and you will have worked with SLAs, ideally within an ITIL-run organisation. You will be able to understand and break down user issues and/or requirements and work with stakeholders including the 1st line support desk to deliver appropriate and timely solutions.
What you should know
We are less concerned about specifics and decades of experience than we are about capability, ambition and cultural fit. If there's something on our list which is out of your comfort zone, that's fine - but expect us to expect you to pick it up and run with it should you join us! That said, here are our ideal skills for this role:
- Experience in a similar role within in a similar size organisation
- Competent in Windows Server administration (deployment & troubleshooting)
- A solid understanding of IP routing and switching technologies (including HP and Cisco)
- Experienced in the configuration and troubleshooting of WiFi
- Knowledge of IT desktop environments such as Windows 10, in addition to experience supporting mainstream Microsoft products, such as Office 365, Azure and Microsoft Active Directory
- Advanced Windows desktop support
- Knowledge and experience in supporting IP Telephony systems
- Troubleshooting connectivity issues (VPN, WAN, firewalls etc)
- Experienced in administering VMware and Hyper-V environments
- Knowledge of Active Directory and Group Policy
- Clean driving licence
Nice to have
- ITIL experience
- Experience in Cyber Security
- Experienced in managing VDI environments
- Experience administering Linux systems
- MCSA or MCSE
- Experience in the use of Network Monitoring Systems
- Either a solid degree in a STEM subject, or similar capability through experience
- Previous work with medium to large-scale organisations
What you get
We reward our staff over and above the norm. We offer a working environment unlike any other and we are constantly improving. That said, here are the usual suspects:
- Matched contributory pension
- 33 days' holiday including Bank Holidays
- 25% off all our stunning ethical organic food and local partners
- Heavily subsidised, home-cooked organic breakfast and lunch
- 10% of our gross profits are shared with the staff (tax free)
- Life assurance
- Flexible working options
- Free grade-out organic fruit and veg
- Amazing organic coffee selections; morning espresso to stay-late cafetières
- BIG summer and winter parties, along with all year get-togethers
- Multiple screens and any software you need
- 10% training time and £1,000 contribution each year
So, if you're seeking your next challenge as a 2nd Line Infrastructure Engineer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Other organisations may call this role Infrastructure Engineer, Infrastructure Support Engineer, IT Infrastructure Engineer, 2nd Line Support Engineer, Technical Services Engineer, Infrastructure Analyst, or 2nd Line Support Analyst