All age groups considered with the right skills. Part time could be considered, flexible working, early mornings or evenings with 8am to 6pm cover. No weekend work, but sometimes needed for server patching or application upgrades.
We are looking for a Linux Systems Engineer in a DevOps role to join an experienced team of experienced DevOps engineers. This team is conducting DevOps and Systems Admin and working directly with software development teams. No general business / user contact.
You will be joining a cross-functional team, comprising of mostly Infrastructure systems support and some scripting development, application release management a few times a month on a Friday. Your new role will be responsible for supporting existing systems and designing and implementing technical solutions for supporting the existing infrastructure with a mixture of on premise systems. We are currently using Amazon AWS Cloud platform. You will have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, good communication skills, a desire to tackle any complex problems.
Ideally someone will come from an Infrastructure background, Linux Systems and some Windows Servers (we are migrating from Windows), however you will need to be comfortable with writing some scripts and basic software code to enhance existing systems. AWS skills are not a must have but Linux skills are.
The team regularly adopt new and better technology; however, the team's tech stack currently consists of:
* Operating Platforms - We are more biased towards Linux which we are currently migrating fully to, so you must have Linux knowledge but we have a mixed Windows and Linux environment at the moment and some training can be given on Windows.
* Cloud: AWS - EC2/ ECS, S3, AWS Inspector, Cloudwatch, SNS, Security etc
* Scripting Languages - Bash (must have), CI / CD - Git, Ansible, Terraform.
* Other skills - XenServer, VMWare, ElasticSearch, Redis, Jenkins, Docker, Nagios, Ganglia, some SQL, PXE Boot installs, kickstart.
* Nice to have: HPC skills in IBM Spectrum Symphony or other HPC systems.
We are looking for a mix of experience, you don't need to have everything, but you will need experience in several areas:
* Technical infrastructure skills across servers, some storage and networks. Currently managing over 250 servers with VMs on XenServer
* Experience with virtualization, Xenserver, Xen, VM Ware
* Some AWS experience, we are currently moving into the cloud
* Experience with programming and scripting in a server environment
* Experience in implementing simple solutions to tricky problems
* Proven working experience in installing, configuring and troubleshooting Linux based environments.
* Understanding of micro service based architectures (Docker)
* Solid experience in system administration and performance tuning of application stacks.
* Some experience with implementing containerised workloads
* Install, configure, test and maintain operating systems, application software and system management tools.
* Networking: Understanding network topologies and common network protocols and services (DNS, HTTP(S), SSH, FTP, SMTP).
* Comfortable with using Linux command line tools for administration tasks
* Good knowledge of security as it relates to cloud-based infrastructure
Skills & experience that would be highly desirable
* Managing large scale tasks from inception to completion
* Linux Server Administration - Redhat, and Centos, some Windows Server Admin is useful but strong Linux skills will grab our attention.
* Bash scripting and Ansible would be desirable
* Automation tooling (Terraform, Ansible)
* Experience with platform monitoring systems, Nagios, Ganglia, ELK.
* Knowledge of networking/connectivity
* Experience using Git in a team environment (merge requests, branching, push, and pulls)
Salary and Package:
£35,000 to £40,000
Training on the Job