Product Delivery is a journey, not a one-off event. It needs to be nurtured and grown by enthusiastic and talented people who innovate and collaborate ensuring the products and organisation continue to evolve.
Thames Water is actively establishing a digital engineering function that will continue to create, enhance, and support digital products driving our business objectives and realising business value at pace. A strong emphasis is placed on meeting the needs of the user, driving adoption and benefits realisation.
We use agile principles and a range of technologies to create products our consumers enjoy using and that add value with confidence at pace. Key to this is extensive use of test automation, Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment pipelines and gateless release process to make daily incremental change a reality.
This is a unique opportunity to take on the challenge of flipping the traditional utility perception on its head by being instrumental in product-driven rapid delivery and championing the cultural change that supports this way of working.
You will be part of a team making a positive difference to the community and the environment. At?Thames Water, sustainability means doing the right thing for people, for the performance of our business and for the natural environment.
Whether you're just starting out, or you have been in the industry for a few years, this is a team where we value and need your pioneering and innovative mindset and drive to help us create award-winning digital experiences.About The Role:
As a Web Developer, you will be a software engineering professional, specialising in the development of website solutions for user interaction. You will actively participate in the design, development, automated testing and implementation of digital products for the Thames Water website. You will also help the team identify and adopt good software development and delivery practices, striving for continuous improvement within the team.
You will be responsible for building user interaction software by writing code, as well as modifying software to improve quality, adapting it to new infrastructure and improving its performance. You will work as part of an agile team to ensure the rapid release of high-quality, fit for purpose products that add value to Thames Water's stakeholders.Key Accountabilities:
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Produce high-quality code to aid in the delivery of digital products
- Provide technical leadership within the team
- Consistently deliver to challenging business objectives and adhere to Service Level Agreements and KPIs
- Demonstrate strong problem-solving skills and make recommendations for improvement
- Utilise Agile Technical practices; Test-Driven Development (TDD), Continuous Integration and Delivery, Pair Programming
- Introduce appropriate processes and tools to optimise delivery and quality of software products
- Collaborate within agile teams to ensure quality project/product execution and software development cycle
What's in it for you?
- Demonstrable experience as a Front-End Web Developer, working on large scale websites
- Demonstrable practical experience with a wide variety of software development techniques and strategies
- Significant experience of React, Redux, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), Styled Components, Typescript, Sitecore
- Sitecore certification would be a distinct advantage
- Some experience of working in an environment with Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm, Azure
- Experience of working with an agile team to deliver high-quality solutions
- Knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, Test-Driven Development (TDD), Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.?
We're also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.?About us
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying?2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.?
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That's why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We're passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
?We're also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We're reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We're using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world's poorest communities.
Together, we're building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you'll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We're also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/90775893