Head of Finance -Programmes Directorate, Science and Technology Facilities Council
Full time (note job-sharing or part-time will be considered)
UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) works in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities, and government to create the best possible environment for research and innovation to flourish.
Within UKRI, the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) provides access to world-leading, large-scale facilities through its National Laboratories and Campuses and supports university based research, innovation and skills development in astronomy, particle physics, nuclear physics, and space science.
STFC's Programmes Directorate (PD) is responsible for implementing our science and technology strategy and managing our programme planning, peer review processes and science operations, as well as programmes in education, training and public outreach and has an annual budget of over £400m.
Main duties include but are not limited to -
- Providing strategic business support to the Executive Director and management team of the Programmes Directorate
- Act as the central finance point in relation to planning, budgets, forecasts and in-year financial management.
- Working closely with Division Heads to ensure that all financial and procurement transactions are consistent with propriety, regularity, corporate governance and value for money criteria and in line with approved budgets
- Constructively challenge senior stakeholders to ensure the best financial outcomes and to manage risk at an appropriate level
- Provide financial support to specific major projects and international collaborations within the PD portfolio and represent STFC/UKRI Finance on relevant project boards and oversight committees
- Provide strong leadership of the Programmes Directorate Finance team, currently comprising three business partners, with an emphasis on strong teamwork, staff development and continuous improvement
You will be a professional in the field of accounting, either by qualification or substantial, relevant experience, and will be able to operate effectively at a senior level.
You will also have significant experience in finance service delivery and problem solving, as well as being able to produce high-level budgets, financial plans and monthly reporting.
UKRI can offer the successful candidate 30 days annual leave, access to a defined-benefit Civil Service Pension and access to schemes such as Cycle to Work and Season Ticket Loans.How to Apply
Please note, when you click apply, you will be directed to our Topcareer.jobs site, where you will be asked to complete the application process.Closing date is 22nd September 2020.