Condé Nast has a huge global footprint across 32 countries worldwide with total monthly visitors reaching more than 550 million. We aim to inspire, inform and entertain our audiences through our portfolio of well known brands such as Vogue, Wired, Vanity Fair, Architectural Digest, GQ and many other leading brands.
Condé Nast has operations in America, Europe, South America and Asia. There are long-established operations in major Indian cities such as Mumbai and Chennai across many business areas.
The company is undertaking the biggest transformation in its history, driving towards expanding both its operations and its reach through diversifying the digital business models for our brands. Major areas of focus will include video and streaming platforms, increasing subscriptions and memberships, growing our events business, and ensuring we maintain a high level of standard on the products we are already proud of delivering to our customers. Migrating and consolidating to a more centralised set of technologies and capabilities that can be easily leveraged by any brand or product experience is also a top business priority.
Engineering is responsible for scaling, building, deploying websites that serve over 500 million users globally. The global engineering team includes Product Engineering, Platform Engineering and Core Engineering.About Cloud Platform
Cloud Platform, part of Core Engineering, is made up of three teams; Site Reliability, Developer Experience and Operational Excellence, working across Europe and the US.
We started out as two separate companies, one in the US and one in the UK, with different requirements. We built similar but different platforms, both on AWS and driven by Kubernetes.
The UK platform operates a 'you build it, you run it' model which gives product engineers flexibility of how and what they deploy, but requires they own and maintain the code for their pipelines and infrastructure.
The US platform simplifies deployment through abstraction to an easy to use GUI, allowing for very rapid creation of new applications in production, with no infrastructure knowledge.The Role
We're looking for a Senior SRE to join Cloud Platform at one of the world's biggest publishers; to help us on the web application side with reliability, performance and scalability, as well as observability practices & tools, CI/CD pipelines and incident resolution & troubleshooting.
You will also have previous experience with:
- Significant experience with NodeJS, Python, Go or other language
- Understanding of software architecture and design
- Cloud engineering on AWS, including building fault tolerant systems
- Infrastructure as code
- Driving operational quality through common SRE best practices
- Observability of applications, using monitoring, logging, tracing and alerting solutions
- Operating in production
- Performance and load testing
How we work
- AWS - for most of our infrastructure
- Terraform - infrastructure as code
- Kubernetes - our platform
- CircleCi - Deployment
- Java - One of our deployment tools
- Go - our preferred language for building auxiliary services
- Datadog, Kibana, Elastic search - for observing our platform
- Infrastructure as Code everywhere
- Pairing. We like knowledge sharing and upskilling
- Remote friendly. We work with engineers across time zones & locations
- (Oncall - teams are responsible for their own apps)
- Strong background in software development, having lead projects or workstreams
- You love working with a global team and are flexible to adjust hours accordingly
- You will be working with a global team and need to be accommodative of different time-zones as required
- You would like to develop a large scale cutting edge platform to support the deployment of hundreds of applications
- Raise the bar on all work, and share best practices
- A desire to automate everything
- Used and supported Kubernetes in a production environment
- Any of ELK, Grafana, Datadog, Splunk experience
- AWS or other cloud experience