Our company and culture
We love our culture - it has helped us achieve some amazing things. We will nurture and protect it. Passionate about service, we're on a mission to revolutionise our colleagues' and customers' experience by employing brilliant people who are experts at what they do and smile whilst they are doing it.
It's a great place to work because of the people we employ. Fun, professional and supportive, we want like-minded individuals who love to love their job. We are more concerned about contribution than job title and we encourage collaboration and openness.
We all have a 'can do' approach and are all happy to roll our sleeves up in order to get a job done well and at pace - our aim is to delight our customers. We move quickly, we are proud of our success and even more excited about the future.
This position may be located in the Cincinnati, OH area of the US or Coventry area of the UK.The role
As a Senior DevOps Engineer you will sit between our software engineers and our operations teams, continuing our work to evolve our focus on "everything automation". Your main goal will be to support the product teams getting code out to customers quicker and in a safe, predictable, supportable and easy way. You will be responsible for driving our #AutomationFirst principles through replacing manual processes with repeatable and code driven solutions. Simplifying, streamlining and modernizing the tooling we use, to produce pipelines supporting repeatable and efficient CI&CD, IaC, data loading etc.
You will play a key role in the design, on-going development, automation and maintenance of our CI&CD tool-suites working closely with our software engineering teams supporting engineering's efficiency drives. You will play a key role in ensuring consistency and repeatability of best practice / cloud native deployment mechanisms across dev, test & production environments. The Senior DevOps Engineer is an instrumental change agent in our continued adoption of a DevOps culture across our organisation. You will be an automation champion who not only works to create the content that will support our DevOps evolution, but you will evangelize its implementation and adoption through demonstrating the benefits of the latest and great cloud native tools. Over time you will become part of the product teams as they deliver on our product roadmap and help lead change into the operations area.
Flooid recognises that Cloud solution and services are evolving at a fast pace. It is acknowledged that as part of this role relevant training and self-learning time is offered for Flooid to benefit from advancements in cloud technology. Each member of the team will have a tailored training schedule supporting their preferred learning style. The person
We'll be looking for you to demonstrate the following values/behaviours/competencies:
Able to think big, deliver often in technically challenging environments.
There's no such thing as can't.
Positive approach to challenging work.
Understands the larger strategy and how "little and often" supports this.
Deliver fast and often through feedback loops.
Comfortable in up skilling while on the job.
Takes ownership of change supporting our automation transformation.
Focus on product and client expectation and timelines.
Change focused not theory focused.
Experience working with online collaboration tools such as O365.
Quick interactions over Teams to interact with and show clarity to technologist, business and process people.
Quick to seek help when the situation calls for it.
Value add through confluence documentation.
Jira tickets managed through Kanban.
Bitbucket code reviews and pair programming (GitOps).
Awareness of dependence on you and the impact of delivering on commitments.Your responsibilities
Implement and modernize the tool sets that enable the engineering teams to code, test, merge and deploy in a repeatable and reliant manner supported by IaC environments under configuration management.
- Modernize our CI&CD infrastructure to ensure it meets the needs of our development teams as part of an efficient and productive Agile SDLC.
- CD automation of releases into test, development & production environments.
- Implement and develop DevOps technologies and processes, e.g.: containerization, CI&CD, infrastructure as code (through definition languages such as Terraform), configuration/deployment tooling (through Ansible), Observability and metrics (Grafana, Jaegar), monitoring (Influx TICK stack), etc.
- Automate wherever possible whilst always knowing how far is 'too far'
- Work collaboratively with all delivery teams across the company to transition changes into production
- Use programming languages and tools as and where appropriate around a Java based platform deployment.
- Utilize industry best practice information security principles and practices to guide the development and deployment of secure and robust systems.
- Help diagnose the root causes of systems issues (whether in dev, test and/or production) using extensive problem-solving skills.
We seek strong experts that are going to improve our DevOps team and enable our Product, Project and Operations teams to benefit and accelerate. As an expert in DevOps that proves their value in the business you will be asked to support and contribute in many facets of replacing manual tasks with an automation approach.Skills and experience
- Production experience of working with public cloud services (experience with one major public cloud platform provider). Our cloud of choice is GCP
- Strong background in Linux/Unix Administration. Debian/Ubuntu is our core VM/Container OS.
- Experience in owning (developing/modernising and managing) CI&CD processes, preferably experience using Jenkins and/or experience of migrating from Jenkins other CI&CD tools.
- Experience at working with SQL and noSQL database technologies such as (Postgress, MySQL, DB2, Redis, MongoDB) and overcoming the complexities the data layer presents through the CI&CD pipeline lifecycle.
- Experience of working with or within Agile Software Development teams. (Scrum, Sprints and Kanban)
- Experience in developing, deploying and managing kubernetes clusters in Dev, stage and production (GKE, EKS, AKS) using Terraform, Helm charts and specialised K8 CD tools (harness.io, Tekton, Rancher)
- Experience in developing and maintaining best practice for Terraform deployments (Terraform 12 with plans on moving to 13).
- Professional experience managing high availability Java stack deployments using open source technologies such as Tomcat, Spring Boot, ActiveMQ etc.
- Experience with automation/configuration management using tools such as Ansible to configure automated cloud VM deployments. ·
- GitOps experience in aligning Dev automation practices with real day to day operational challenges
- Expected appreciation of networks, security, load balancers, DNS and other infrastructure components. Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service.
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and tools.
We'd like it if you could bring:
- Experience in migrating from monolithic, bloated Java apps, to streamlined, containerised spring boot microservices
- Proficient in automation coding applications in Java, Python and other language.
- Knowledge of best practices and IT operations in an always-up, always-available service
- Experience of working with RESTful API deployments in a secure manor
- Experience in understanding the benefits of and deploying Service mesh technologies.
- Managing the consistent deployments of Serverless deployments for application and operational services.
- Experience in creating and supporting a consistent environment from dev through to production
- Knowledge of industry best practice operational information security principles, practices and regulations such as OWASP, GDPR and Cloud Security
- This is a salaried position
- Location - Cincinnati, OH (Blue Ash) OR Coventry, UK
- Travel - US, UK and & international travel an average of 25%.
- Drivers License, ability to operate a motor vehicle and passport (or the ability to attain one) required