As Strategic Planning Manager you will be working directly with the CEO to drive strategic decision-making. You will be assessing and modelling new business initiatives be it new products or services, expansions or acquisitions as well as supporting zero based planning to ensure the existing business grows in a robust and scalable manner.
This role will assist the CEO and CFO with forecasting, cost-benefit analysis and managing the balance sheet while justifying and obtaining funding for various initiatives. You will oversee and analyse the company's strategic investments and activities to ensure that they support the goals of the business. The ideal candidate will be able to analyse data and build financial models to support decision making. The business is highly focused on unit economics and this role will own the cohort and NPV models for the business and require the creation of high-quality materials to communicate analysis and direction.
Critically important to success will be the ability to help key decision makers think through return on investment both in terms of time and money so that the myriad choices the business has are considered well and good investment decisions are made. This role will require a high level of maturity and self-awareness to ensure debates remain professional and always focused on what's best for the organization. Responsibilities
- Provide the executive team and Board of Directors with the possible financial implications of different strategies, initiatives, acquisitions, and expansions
- Design processes, financial models and frameworks to ensure various business ideas are accountable for driving optimal return
- To be a trusted manager working closely with the finance and operational teams
- Understand the regulatory and legal landscape that the business operates in
- Ownership of customer level unit economics and Net Present Value analysis and integration into the business decision making process
- Own the zero-based planning process and the portfolio review process
- Work closely with the executive in the ongoing development of our strategy and where we should focus to deliver the agreed goals of the business
- Provide data and scorecards to ensure that progress is tracked and reported and return on investment assessed
- Contribute to the annual budget planning process; act as a business partner to various business leaders to ensure individual and enterprise fiscal objectives are clear and monitored
- Contribute to the delivery of financial management reporting including weekly KPIs, monthly management accounts and KPIs, and Board financial package
- Formal educational background in finance, accounting or other business-related disciplines with advanced degree such as an MBA is preferable
- Proven and established experience in financial analysis and consulting. Ideally the candidate will have worked for a major accounting firm and then had some time in consulting working on projects which analyse new initiatives, new structures from a financial return perspective. Sometime in corporate finance or banking could be advantageous but not required
- An ability to understand and analyse "Vertical Economics" (monthly, P&L, business unit performance & budgeting, etc.) and "Horizontal Economics" (Customer level unit economics, Net Present Value, Customer journey and other funnel related economics)
- Ability to think flexibly through different options and to horse race these through analysis and modelling.
- Candidates must bring a successful track record of analysing competing priorities and ideas, using data, insight and discussion to recommend a course of action
- Exceptional communication skills with the ability to communicate complex ideas quickly and effectively both verbally and using presentation tools
- Proven ability to strategically plan for a high growth enterprise as well as focus resources and attention on the right portfolio of ideas
- Can work independently in a 'one to one' or group situation with people at all levels of seniority and responsibility
- Demonstrated passion for data, with extensive experience in data analysis and modelling / forecasting methods. Equally skilled in creating action plans based on the found insights
- An exceptionally strong culture fit that can become a role model for culture within the business