A leading Energy Storage R&D Organisation based in Oxfordshire are looking for an experienced Programme Manager
to join their senior leadership team as Head of Programme Management
. This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced Programme Manager
with a strong background in electrochemical energy storage and versed in leading complex muiti-stakeholder programmes to be part of a ground-breaking research organisation dedicated to developing the next generation of energy storage technologies.
Founded in 2017 this organisation is the UK's Independent body for electrochemical energy storage research, training, and analysis. Their mission is to make significant breakthroughs in electrochemical energy storage research, develop innovative electrochemical storage solutions and to lead the field in the global race to electrification. They manage large research programmes across more than 20 universities that will soon involve more than 400 researchers and 50 industry partners across the UK.
Reporting to the CEO the Head of Programme Management will ensure the organisations research programmes have the right objectives and that money is optimally allocated between them. The Programme Manager will accelerate the programmes delivery by facilitating training of research programme staff in senior project management. They will work closely with the senior management team and external partners to ensure that objectives are met.
This is an exceptional role. As Head of Programme Management, you will be pivotal to directing the R&D that will change the energy storage landscape for the better.
As Head of Programme Management, you will:
- Enable the build of a valuable portfolio of world class research in batteries and energy storage which can be translated and scaled up by industry.
- Ensure an independent and fair process for allocating research awards to universities and consortiums.
- Deploy the financial resources for people and capital in a way that maximises the chance of research breakthroughs.
- Ensure that each research programme has a clear, detailed, rolling work plan for the next 12 months agreed with relevant stakeholders, together with higher-level. Long term plan to impact (4-10 years).
- Enable to expert panel to exercise influence across research programmes to ensure that interconnections are identified, collaboration takes place and the whole impact is more than the sum of its parts.
- Facilitate the training of project management and teams on how to manage their projects in an agile way and ensure that information is freely exchanged between programmes and the organisation.
- Secure buy in from and build confidence with the universities.
- Ensure that there is a transparent system of reporting on the portfolios progress, in particular, that the progress and likelihood of success of each research programme is formally reviewed three times a year.
- Management and development of the organisations Project Managers.
- Support the company's commercialisation team and help identify pathways to impact for the technology developed on organisations projects.
To be considered for the role of Head of Programme Management (Programme Manager) you need the following: Education
- Degree qualified 2.1 or above in an engineering or scientific discipline. PhD/EngD/DPhil would be desirable.
Role: Head of Programme Management (Programme Manager) Location - Oxfordshire Salary - Highly competitive.
- An understanding of the science, engineering, economics and social benefits of batteries and other forms of energy storage to effectively programme manage the research programmes.
- Experience of lean/agile project and programme management (focus on delivering improvements with minimum paperwork/bureaucracy.
- The ability to engage and train with all levels of academia, from senior academic leaders to junior staff.
- Experience of engaging (or at a minimum the ability to engage) with relevant industries (primarily automotive but also energy).
- Strong analytical capabilities.
- The ability to exercise leadership and influence others.