Mothercare are seeking a talented Assistant Graphic Designer to join their team. As the Assistant Graphic Designer you will be a creative individual, with an immense passion for designing emotive graphics, artworks and illustrations that truly fit the aspirations of parents worldwide. Reporting into the Graphics Designer, you will create commercial and innovative designs in line with the Mothercare strategy, increasing sales and profit across our clothing and home and travel departments, whilst researching trends, identifying competitors and liaising with both freelance artists and suppliers to produce graphics that truly fit our brand aesthetics.
- Research, identify and implement original research and market trends to support print and pattern trend, colour combinations, print techniques and applications for Mothercare each season.
- Collaborate with other graphic designers to ensure consistent approach, sharing ways of working and designs across all areas to minimise workload
- Support the graphic designer in delivering all graphics for the department in line with the critical path.
- Work closely with designers to understand customer needs and expectations and incorporate into ranges & designs
- Maintain knowledge of all trends and support the researching into graphics and techniques
- Communicate print and pattern direction and technique effectively to key stakeholders
- Liaise with supply base to achieve successful results, making revisions where necessary to suit processes available
- Deliver to key milestones in line with critical path
- Understand the best and worst and lessons learnt on graphics
- Design graphics in line with the Mothercare handwriting with new techniques but ensuring global requirements are met
- Provide print artworks and specification sheets for suppliers showing correct scale and repeat information, as well clear breakdown of colors pantone referenced and print application detail to enable manufacturers to reproduce the prints to Mothercares exacting standards.
- Demonstrate a strong and varied understanding of technical printing, and diverse artwork techniques and have a strong understanding of the print development process.
- Build strong, collaborative working relationships with external suppliers and freelancers as necessary.
- Conduct UK inspiration trips and attend relevant Trade Fairs to collaborate original inspiration, relevant to the Mothercare brand handwriting. Create reports summarizing the findings.
- Produce design briefs for our freelance print designers.
- Provide a choice of print artworks, scales and colorways for each individual brief set, to be signed off at CAD S/O meetings predominately on clothing but potentially across the wider Mothercare team where appropriate.
- You will have a fabulous sense of colour & drawing ability and will enjoy working to high standards & delivering profit to the business.
- You will be able to demonstrate your individual design flair and understand the Mothercare brand "handwriting"
- You will have the ability to design product with a unique point of difference from our competitors and it is essential that you have a natural flair for painting, sketching and hand drawn graphics.
- With excellent presentation and communication skills, you will be confident in presenting your themes and ideas to the wider business and team.
- You will be competent working with either photoshop or illustrator: working knowledge of both CAD packages is desirable.
- Previous experience of creating embroidery and embellished artworks is desirable.
- If you can demonstrate a commercial understanding of both the babywear market and the Mothercare customer, then this could be the role for you.
- Educated to Degree standard in Print design (or fashion textiles) with at least 2/3yrs experience ideally working for an aspirational babywear brand or print-house.
- Passionate about baby wear. A knowledge of baby garment construction would be beneficial.
Mothercare is known as a cornerstone of the British high street, supporting parents and families for nearly 60 years. But what many people don't know is that Mothercare is a major global brand with over 800 stores outside of the UK. Its international business is growing.
Mothercare Global Brand is a business-to-business company. It develops the Mothercare strategy, maximising the value of our global brand, designing own-brand products and - as custodians of the brand - defining the 'Mothercare way', all of which are distributed around the globe through franchising partnerships. In fact, we are the world's largest parent-and-baby franchise.
Today, we have 840 stores in 40 countries through our franchise network. In FY19, our international sales turnover was in excess of £600 million.
That's big. But we're not content.
There are 60 million births around the globe each year - so there's a huge market to play for. We will harness our reputation as a trusted brand and work in partnership with our franchisees to grow. We'll do that in a planned, strategic and commercially-minded way that enables a sustainable, long-term future for the Mothercare brand.
We've also just announced a fantastic new franchise with Boots. Boots will exclusively sell Mothercare-branded products - from clothing to car seats to pushchairs - in their UK stores. That means we're bringing Mothercare back to the high street in partnership with another highly regarded British brand.
It's an exciting time to work at Mothercare Global Brand. We are on the cusp of something truly special as we leverage the currency of such a credible, iconic brand while bringing to life new ways of thinking and working. Essentially, we are a 59-year-old company with the enthusiasm and drive of a start-up.