Total is active in more than 130 countries, our 100,000 employees are committed to better energy that is safer, more affordable, cleaner and accessible to many people as possible.
We operate along the entire energy value chain, from the exploration wells to the end client. In May 2020, Total announced its ambition to get to net-zero emissions by 2050 together with society for its global business across its production and energy products used by its customers.
What do we do in UK?
Present since 1955, Total in UK is fully integrated in all sectors of the energy business - exploration production, refining, trading and marketing for our end users and customers.
Our Marketing & Services Branch is specialized in Bitumen (based in Preston), Lubricants (based at Ferrybridge), Special Fluids and Aviation.
Sustainability and minimising the environmental impact of our products are guiding principles. These apply equally to our own manufacturing processes as to the impact our products will have in their end use. We consider the entire product lifecycle. It is a 18-month FTC.
The Laboratory Manager reports directly to the General Manager - Lubricants. The Laboratory Manager manages the day to day routine operation and functionality of the Quality Control department, and is responsible for the supervision of three Team Members. The Laboratory Manager is the main point of contact for Quality issues, queries and additional requests. Furthermore, is proactive in providing corrective and preventative action when issues arise and provides technical advice to all concerned parties as necessary.
Undertakes non-standard requests and project work such as evaluation of new formulations, commission of new equipment, including implementation of processes, procedures and training.You will be expected to:
About the Successful Candidate
- Manage and promote safety in the Laboratory environment, setting and defining standards where appropriate and ensuring that defined safe working practice is implemented and adhered to.
- Ensure strong communications links with General Manager, HSEQ Manager, Technical Manager, Laboratory team members, Supply Chain and other internal customers.
- Manage departmental work schedules to ensure manpower is effectively deployed to provide efficient service levels by adapting requirements to meet customer demand.
- Innovate and recommend continual improvement opportunities within the Laboratory department and identify own continuous development needs.
- Manage, train, develop, and appraise Team members to motivate an effective team that operate efficiently and safely.
- Investigate and provide resolution to Quality Control issues, in the most appropriate, cost effective and efficient manner to the business.
- Implement corrective and preventative action to ensure processes are adequate and remedial action is effective and manage response to unforeseen events.
- Monitor and report laboratory performance; control laboratory KPI's within agreed targets.
- Manage the maintenance, calibration and verification of analytical instrumentation to ensure accuracy, and compliance with international test methods and TS16949.
- Control product and manufacturing specifications in accordance with TOTAL group and OEM requirements; optimise / reduce costs by raw material selection in line with TOTAL Group norms.
- Investigate Customer complaints, Technical queries and Lubricant analysis requests. Provide detailed technical reports in to findings and where necessary identify TOTAL equivalent products against competitor products.
- Liaise with Supply chain to optimise and harmonise product ranges, tender queries and new product introduction.
- Provide technical input to facilitate the development/ enhancement, validation and implementation of new and existing products (WIW). Liaising with Paris based Product Engineers for International products.
- Control the ILC program (Interlaboratory Comparison), including registration, data evaluation and input. Analyse reports and instigate corrective action where necessary.
- Control, implement and participate in internal assessments and audits (including safety) as required; ensuring full compliance of procedures as required for TS 16949 compliance.
- Manage and promote product safety within the business; monitor, analyse and communicate hazards of all products on site (COSHH, exposure scenarios).
- Perform any other tasks required of the role, as requested/identified by Line manager or other Senior Managers, or in response to customer requests.
5+ years practical experience within a technical / laboratory environment.
Comprehensive up-to-date knowledge of lubricants products and manufacturing processes
HND or Degree with a Scientific discipline or relevant Work experience.
Good Mathematical and IT skills: Excel, Word, SAP.
Work standards: Health and Safety focused. Excellent communicator at all levels. Self-motivated, team worker and leadership, Planning and organisation skills, Flexible approach to working.
Good judgment, logical and analytical thinking, methodical approach, attention to detail, delivers results.