We are seeking an experienced Principal Platform Engineer to join the client's Global Infrastructure Team. The ideal candidates should have an extensive background in modern DevOps technologies and practices and Linux Systems Administration.
You will be joining a strong and experienced team and you will be working on a very diverse set of infrastructure. Gaining knowledge is a real perk of the job and you will learn a lot from working with the client.
You will be responsible for the management, maintenance, monitoring, scaling and incident response of client's global VoIP, Network and SaaS platform; which consists of both datacentre and cloud deployments. As Principal Platform Engineer, you will work closely with the Head of Platform to ensure that projects are well-scoped and planned; provide technical oversight of the team to ensure projects are delivered on time and to a high standard of quality.
Alongside the rest of the platform team, you will also be working with our in-house software team, helping them to deliver well architected cloud-native applications. You must be self-motivated, hardworking, able to work alone, but also in teams on significantly sized projects. You must also be confident in asking for advice or bouncing ideas around the team. We are open to flexible working
arrangements - Being in Leicester is not a requirement, but you will need to be able to get here.
• Strong experience with CI/CD Pipelines - Jenkins, Gitlab CI
• Amazon Web Services - ECS, EC2, RDS, S3, VPC, etc
• Scripting languages - ideally Python and Bash
• Virtualization (e.g. KVM)
• Containerization - Docker, Amazon ECS or Kubernetes
• Infrastructure as Code - Terraform, or CloudFormation
• Configuration as Code - SaltStack, Ansible, or Chef
• Linux system administration
• Experience with hardware or datacentre deployments
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Administration and maintenance of existing infrastructure including web servers, databases, message queues, DNS servers, logging, storage, and cloud architecture.
• Assist in the expansion of the company's global platform onto our own hardware and into Amazon Web Services.
• Take responsibility and ownership for assigned project work, ensuring it is seen through to completion.
• Contribute ideas to the enhancement of the platform, including application architecture.
• Autonomously addressing the backlog of technical debt within the department.
• Being communicative with the rest of the team (including UK based staff) and taking part in planning sessions.
• Ultimately working towards a DevOps culture by automating internal systems, and assisting Development with involvement with operational tasks.