We are looking for a Lead web developer to join our digital team. The ideal candidate should work well within a creative group and be comfortable maintaining, optimizing and extending our websites, CMS and interactions with 3rd party software; including our payment gateway and CRM. There are a number of exciting projects scheduled which the ideal candidate will be directly leading.Roles and responsibilities
- Liaise across departments to devise project roadmaps and further develop our Ecommerce platform, CRM system, podcast and live radio functionality, and online user experience including our film player, radio player and the newly introduced Digital Editions version of Monocle magazine.
- Assist the users of our content management system and make usability improvements based on their feedback; also ensuring that all aspects of the system and third integrations are measurable for performance monitoring and reporting.
- Be responsible for fixing any bugs and maintaining vital processes such as our magazine subscriber exports, checkout, radio and podcast playout.
- Be responsible for managing the work of other developers and assisting junior team members where possible.
- Be responsible for team expenditure.
- Work across a number of different projects, introducing new technologies and optimisations to continuously improve Monocle.com and our other sites.
- At least 5 years of experience
- A passion for new technologies
- Robust, reusable, and maintainable development
- Excellent knowledge of PHP
- Proficient in HTML and CSS (we use LESS)
- Working with and using MySQL to query relational databases
- Experience with CMS technologies (an understanding of Symphony CMS beneficial)
- Excellent organisational skills and familiarity with agile methodologies
- Experience using build tools such as Gulp or Grunt and Webpack
- Familiarity with testing code using Selenium/Jest
- Working with third party API integrations
- A good understanding of SEO and Accessibility principles
- Ability to accommodate new projects quickly and with flexibility
Please send a cover letter explaining why you are perfect for this role along with your CV and link to your portfolio or Github profile
- XSLT/use of Symphony CMS
- Node.JS, Object-oriented programming, functional programming
- Understanding of commonly used design patterns and how to use them to improve performance and code maintainability
- Understanding and use of AWS technologies
- Understanding of API-first philosophy
- Experience with Braintree payment gateway
- Experience with Easypost/shipping and ecommerce integrations
where your work, passion for web technologies and communication skills really shine. Please note that applications that are sent without an attached CV and cover letter will be disregarded.
You must have the right to work in the UK and ideally already be based in London.
No agencies please.