About the role
Building tools, designing improved systems, and sharing best practices are just some of the ways the Customer SRE team serves our users a little better every day.
We embed within the engineering teams that own the APIs and apps connecting customers with Tesco; those APIs and apps cover everything from authentication to address books, forgotten passwords to forgery detection. The engineering teams already follow a DevOps approach, owning both the code and production and we consult with them to adopt more SRE concepts and practices, helping them develop and meet their SLOs, learn from outages, and navigate a path from an honest assessment of where they are to where they would like to be.
We work with systems handling thousands of requests per second as well as those processing a handful of critical operations per week. This is a growing team with a mission to bring the SRE approach and mindset to more engineers within Tesco and to deliver the benefits of SRE to our colleagues and customers.You will be responsible for
As an SRE, you will use engineering to measure and improve system reliability across Customer API teams; collaborating with others in the SRE team to foster SRE culture, building scalable and reliable solutions, and delivering the best outcomes for our customers.
You will need:Experience relevant for this job:
It would be ideal (but not essential) if you had:
- Real-world coding, whether that's with traditional compiled languages or scripting languages or both.
- Experience working with large scale distributed systems.
- Testing and automation.
- Prior experience as an SRE or with SRE concepts.
- Familiarity with cloud platforms, ideally AWS or Azure.
Skills relevant for the job:
- Experience delivering / facilitating training.
- Some familiarity with Python or Java.
- Written and verbal communication skills.
- Problem-solving, analysis, and computational skills.
- A customer focus.