SH:24 (Sexual Health 24) is a multi-award-winning heath tech company, delivering online sexual and reproductive services across the UK, 24:7.
- Unrivalled specialist clinical advice and support
- Interactive sexual health risk assessments with linked health promotion advice
- STI home test kits
- Access to a range of contraception
Our users move seamlessly between digital and physical services, with clinical excellence ensured through partnership with specialist NHS sexual health services.
We promote self-management, offering service users a portfolio of clinically assured, discreet and easy to access services which would traditionally be delivered in NHS clinics.
Our objective is to improve access to sexual health services while also realising efficiency savings through a more holistic, user centred service. The service is designed to be flexible around the needs of users, encouraging greater autonomy, both in making decisions about their care and in navigating their preferred route through services.
Proud to be a not for profit, we have an appetite for social good, innovation and sustainable growth, both in the UK and beyond.
Our brands include Fettle.health, which offers users the choice of paying for sexual and reproductive health services.The role
This is a rare, incredibly exciting and rewarding opportunity to join a high performing team and a rapidly expanding health tech start up, with a meaningful social mission.
We are looking for an exceptional individual to shape our technical strategy to allow us to continue to deliver unrivalled user experiences, clinically safe care and tangible social impact.
This role will continue to grow and nature our software development team, provide technical leadership, oversee delivery and set and realise ambitious growth strategies.
You will be responsible for the Software development team, interfacing with all functions of the business.Key responsibilities Team leadership
- Manage, mentor and grow the software development team in accordance with the agreed strategy and roadmap
- Oversee recruitment strategies to build a cohesive team, rich in diversity
- Establish and manage a progression framework/career ladder
- To foster our employee brand and reputation
- Offer inspirational leadership in the transition from start-up to scale-up, embodying the values of the organisation in both our approach and outputs
- Foster a culture of high performance, underpinned by agile working, planning practices and continuous learning
- Support cross-functional working and apt communication
- Champion our social purpose, embracing empathy and a passion for products that make a tangible difference to people's lives
- Keep abreast of the latest technologies
- Advocate for best practice in cyber security, inclusive of managing, interpreting and responding to penetration tests
- Set and uphold standards for engineering using recognised best practices
- Develop, motivate and support talent to drive innovation, retention and staff progression.
Translate operational challenges into technical solutions
- Build and own the tech roadmap to deliver both strategic and tactical goals to maintain a prosperous and sustainable position in our markets
- Develop a technology vision and resulting strategy (infrastructure and architecture) inclusive of pivotal 'refactor or migrate' decisions, on a macro and micro level
- Ensure high quality product ships, on time
- Build strong partnerships with internal teams to fully understand their functions and needs
- To work closely with the Service Development Director to ensure technical solutions are fully aligned with both product and brand
- Ensure the long-term security of our platforms, inclusive of third-party attacks and disaster recovery plans.
- Understand end-to-end operations and drive efficiencies through better use of technology
- Improve UX through the adoption of best practices and optimisations
- Champion and foster an excellent level of commercial awareness within the software development team to ensure alignment with are goals.
A great team leader, you will have worked is a senior leadership role for at least 3 years, managing, mentoring and growing teams.
Key skills & qualities
- 3 years plus in running and scaling multiple products/platforms (web front-ends and data rich back-ends) in a fast paced environment
- Exposure to, and hands-on experience, of working in organisations in transition from start-up to scale-up, whilst managing and delivering major products
- Proven technical background with an excellent understanding of architecture and infrastructure
- Tangible experience of operations at scale; a true understanding of the challenges and how technology can be used as a solution
- Technical experience of building highly secure, scalable and sustainable data sets across geographical markets
- Experience of managing and growing highly productive teams (of 10+), including remote and contractors
- A working knowledge of Ruby, Rails, React, Terraform, Ansible and AWS
- A track record of proactively managing technical debt in the context of risks and strategic growth objectives.
- A confident and inspirational leader with apt emotional intelligence
- To coach and mentor team members to improve their technical and non-technical skills
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels, beyond colleagues in technology and Product; to service users and those at Board level
- To be an advocate of agile and TDD
- The ability to 'think big' and conceptualise large, disruptive ideas
- Highly analytical, understanding and leveraging insights from diverse data sources (quantitative and qualitative)
- A willingness to be hands-on and get stuck in where and when appropriate
- Ability to keep calm and think rationally under pressure
- To be user focused, with a good understanding of design and UX
- An acute awareness of what it means to work within healthcare, to be responsible for delivering services that protect and support users particularly those who may be more vulnerable.