Pole Star offers a range of commercial products, both cloud hosted or located within traditional data centres.
All products integrate, process or present large volumes of data and serve a wide customer base across the Maritime, Government and Financial Markets industries.
Database management, maintenance, migrations, upgrades etc. are currently managed within the current Technology Teams and Pole Star is now looking for a dedicated DBA to bring specialist database experience into the company and own / drive database related activities / initiatives
This is a 1 year fixed term contract initially, with real potential to transition to a permanent position. In these current times, we are working from home and attending the office once a week. Interviews will be held by video calls. Responsibilities
Essential skills / experience
- Own database changes / data migrations across the product estate
- Address specific, known database challenges
- Undertake a product database estate review / health-check. Document / share output, review recommendations, produce execution plan
- Deliver estate wide backup / recovery plans, maintenance plans, monitoring/alerting plans
- Availability is expected for production outages and recovery efforts (rare)
Desirable skills / experience
- Postgresql in detail, especially RDS
- SQL query design and optimization
- Scripting - Bash and/or Python
- AWS CLI and CloudFormation
- Data migration / ETL
- NoSQL DB and when it is preferred over RDBMS
- Data warehouse, Data lakes, especially implemented and managed in cloud
- GDPR requirements
- AWS RedShift
- Cost control
About Pole Star
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken English.
- Ability to work autonomously or in a team
- Ability to learn quickly and adapt to new challenges
- Personal drive & excellent organisational skills
Pole Star is a privately owned, London headquartered technology company developing innovative SaaS software solutions and APIs for the maritime, banking & finance and government sectors.
For nearly 20 years we have offered the maritime industry cutting edge vessel tracking as well as conformance testing solutions.
We help our clients in the banking, trade & commodity sectors to manage their financial crime risk with advanced sanctions screening and vessel monitoring solutions.
Our government clients benefit from comprehensive end-to-end service and the highest levels of reliability, redundancy and scalability.