Role: Applications Developer
Salary - Up to £45,000 + bonus + private healthcare + more.
A global organisation based in Leeds are seeking an Applications Developer to apply software design and development skills for new build, enhancement/maintenance and operational support (incident and problem) of a broad range of Internal and Customer-facing applications falling within the remit of the team.
The applications are mix of; bespoke internally built solutions, industrialised End User solutions, customised 3rd party solutions and include integrations with commercial products for Billing, Finance and CRM. The architecture is hosted on a mix of on premise and cloud-based solutions, although is very much moving towards the latter.
* Designs, codes, verifies, tests, documents, amends and refactors simple through to complex software programs/scripts.
* Applies a range of the above activities across varied applications, with a moderate to high-level of multi-tasking required and sometimes on non-routine tasks
* Applies agreed standards and tools, to achieve a well-engineered result.
* Influences and contributes to decisions on standards, tooling and ways of working that reduce cost, and improve speed to market (flow and efficiency)
* Contributes to accurate estimation of effort and duration for development tasks
* Reviews own work and participates in reviews of peers work showing evidence of application of controls and governance processes
* Supports and influences other areas of the development lifecycle before and after the development phase (e.g. requirements shaping, planning, test phases and transition into service)
* Contributes to routine and moderately complex issue resolution as part of operational support and takes the lead for routine incident resolution
* Contributes to regular maintenance activity and takes ownership of routine maintenance tasks
* Creates and documents detailed designs for simple software applications or components applying agreed modelling techniques, standards, patterns and tools. Seeks design approval of own work and contributes to the design of components of larger software systems.
* Contributes to integration and build activities, including release instructions for Testing and Production environments and change management submissions
Has a sound generic, domain and specialist knowledge necessary to perform effectively in the organisation typically gained from recognised bodies of knowledge and organisational information. Demonstrates effective application of knowledge. Has an appreciation of the wider business context. Takes action to develop own knowledge.
Specifically, an understanding and practical application across the following areas is required;
* Application lifecycle covering development, testing, deployment, support and maintenance
* Predictive (Plan Driven) e.g. Waterfall, and Adaptive (Iterative/Agile) methodologies e.g. SCRUM, Kanban
* Software and Project governance models that control quality of outcomes
* Software design techniques and principals
* An appreciation of software testing methods and techniques and familiarity with testing toolsets
* Database technologies e.g. SQL Server, Document DB (CosmosDB / MongoDB)
* Cloud Technologies, both Azure and AWS
* Toolsets that support the management and efficiency of the code within the Application Lifecycle e.g. Azure DevOps, Git repositories, Jira, Confluence
* Web development, including customer journey definition and conversion to solution using the above languages as well as CSS, Angular, Bootstrap etc... (including UX research, analysis, design and evaluation)
* An appreciation of the operating models and business processes for any part of the Energy Supply & Energy Services business
* Organisation and delivery of work within deadlines with the ability to multi-task
* Effective communication of progress, to clarify objectives, and to ask for guidance to overcome issues including the ability to communicate effectively with non-technical colleagues
* Practical and structured approach to problem solving in addition to accurate diagnosis of issues
* Follow direction, internal standards, best practise and governance
* Understanding business requirements and translation into software solutions
* Understanding needs, objectives and constraints from both business and technical perspectives and responding accordingly
* Cope with change and new information, adapting solutions and approaches accordingly, providing designs and solutions that cater for future change or have known limitations, where possible (e.g. resilient, scalable, performant)
* Communicate to all levels of the User and stakeholder community to understand issues, requirements and to provide effective solutions
* Collaborative working with people at different levels within and external to ENGIE
* Learning both on-the-job and via more formalised research/study with application of the new capabilities to improve service delivery, quality, efficiencies
* Sensitivity and empathy with Users with multiple perspectives who will be unfamiliar and/or non-appreciative of the challenges faced to provide cost-effective, timely software solutions
* Experience of software development, commercial or academic
* Experience of working within a project lifecycle, commercial or academic
* Awareness of object or/and service oriented development
* Experience in supporting and maintaining applications alongside new build
* Experience in working in a team environment
* Suitable A-levels or equivalent
* Relevant IT / technical qualifications for supporting, maintaining and/or developing applications, eg Microsoft certifications or IT / Computer Science degree
* Degree level or equivalent, preferably IT or computer science related
If you are looking to be part of a friendly, energetic company then please click the 'apply now' function.
Certes Computing (and all of its subsidiary companies) is committed to promoting equality and diversity in its business operations.