We currently have a Process Control Technician position available for a motivated individual to join our team based at Exeter. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £22,000 - £28,000 + a shift supplement starting from £10,871.90.
South West Water is part of Pennon Group, a successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high quality drinking water and waste water services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities and each other.
Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include: free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, childcare support, and various health benefits.
As our Process Control Technician, you will support the Drinking Water Services (DWS) Senior Process Controller in the central control of water treatment processes and strategic distribution network operation. You will ensure process and network optimisation through the use of remote-control technology and effective communication with the field delivery team. You will ensure the best cost, least energy, carbon and chemical efficient operation is identified and communicated to the relevant field teams in real time.
Responsibilities as our Process Control Technician will include:
- Coordinating the day to day outputs of water treatment works and the demands of the strategic distribution network so that customer supplies are maintained to the required quantity, quality and service standards
- Participating in shift work standard rotas as necessary to maintain the effective delivery of Drinking Water Service including providing additional cover for operational demands and staff absence when required
- Providing proactive central process monitoring and control activity for DWS assets
- Assisting the DWS management team to reduce the number of operational issues and call outs
- Working with the Water Treatment and Production Technicians to resolve site alarm issues
- Reacting appropriately to process trends and alarms from any DWS sites to ensure appropriate mitigation actions are undertaken by field based staff
- Communicating at all levels within the business and with stakeholders to ensure the DWS assets are maintained and operated to optimum standards. Representing the Process Control team in change management projects
- Engaging with the Alarm Team, to ensure that the best possible service is provided to the customers
- Providing information to the field delivery team from central systems to aid effective decision making and resource deployment
- Providing monitoring and direction that supports compliance with area power budgets through effective and proactive energy management actions, working with the Energy Team
What we are looking for in our ideal Process Control Technician:
- 5 GCSE or equivalent including Maths, English and a Science subject
- HND or Equivalent (desirable)
- Technical training in network/treatment engineering/operation or similar environment (desirable)
- Proven experience of effective team working
- Ability to effectively communicate with people at all levels; including customers and stakeholders
- Ability to effectively use IS and corporate systems and to analyse data and information
- Proven ability to be able to prioritise and plan work and effectively deploy resources
- Can work effectively with little guidance or supervision
- Is dependable and responsible and able to maintain a high level of commitment to personally getting things done
- Ability to remain calm and focused when under pressure
- Demonstrates a flexible approach to working hours
- Ability to participate in the formal working arrangements
Closing date: 24th September 2020