We currently have a Mechanical Craftsperson position available for a motivated individual to join our team based at Whiddon Valley, Barnstaple. Joining us on a full time, permanent basis, you will receive a competitive salary of £27,122 to £30,632 per annum plus benefits.
South West Water is part of the Pennon Group, a very successful and stable business which prides itself on sustainability. We provide reliable, efficient and high quality drinking water and waste water services for a population of c. 1.7 million in Cornwall, Devon, and parts of Somerset and Dorset.
We believe that by investing in the future of our region, we are not only improving the quality of life for today's residents and visitors but are also taking responsibility for future generations. Responsibility for the environment is central to this. Our aim is to continually drive up standards, particularly in the areas that matter most to our customers.
Our core values which are essential to our success are:
Trusted - We do the right thing for our customers and stakeholders.
Collaborative - We forge strong relationships working together to make a positive impact.
Responsible - We keep our promises to our customers, communities and each other.
Progressive - We are always looking for new ways to improve and make life better.
We know that the support and commitment of our staff is key to our success so you will receive the opportunity for ongoing development and training for a long term career with us. We're one of the largest companies in the South West and are proud to have been awarded Investors in People recognition. In return, we offer an excellent range of benefits which include: free car parking at the majority of our sites, company Sharesave Scheme, childcare support, and various health benefits.
As our Mechanical Craftsperson, you will fault find, repair, and maintain South West Water assets across a range of company sites, predominantly water treatment works and pumping stations. You will help ensure maximum asset availability and support the SWW Pure vision by assisting minimising risk to compliance, quality requirements, and health & safety.
Responsibilities as our Mechanical Craftsperson will include:
- Working on a fixed plant on Water and Waste Water Treatment sites to fault find, repair, and maintain a wide variety of equipment including pumps, gearboxes, and specialist treatment process machinery
- Manufacturing and fabricating parts and equipment
- Using Breathing Apparatus and working in confined spaces if required
- Working with other disciplines in a workshop/mobile team
- Developing new skills both in and outside of your core discipline
- Following the business and departmental rules associated with workflow and management
- Working in a manner that keeps you and those around you safe
- Asset repairing and maintaining as scheduled by the scheduling team or your manager
- Helping to make site operators familiar with any new plant or equipment installed
- Undertaking any training required in order to carry out work activities in a safe or legal manner
- Carrying out work activities as scheduled by the central scheduling team or your manager or his/her nominee
- Assisting operational staff with the resolution of complex problems
- Accurate and timely feedback of activities completed
What we are looking for in our ideal Mechanical Craftsperson:
- A completed apprenticeship in a relevant technical discipline
- ONC/HNC or equivalents in a relevant discipline (desirable)
- Working with Drinking and/or Waste Water treatment processes (desirable)
- Working alongside contractors to deliver desired outputs (desirable)
- Able to deliver an effective maintenance service in both workshop and site environments
- Basic understanding of 240v and 415v electrical systems (desirable)
- Able to fault find and repair large complex pieces of mechanical equipment
- Computer literate
- Able to work under pressure to deliver within tight deadlines
- Communicates clearly at all levels
- Willing to take responsibility for delivery of work packages under their control
- Must have a full driving license
- The work can be physical and entail working outside in adverse conditions
Closing date: 23rd September 2020
If you are looking for a new challenge, please click apply now to be considered as our Mechanical Craftsperson - we look forward to receiving your application