Wood Mackenzie is the global leader in data, analysis and consulting across the energy, chemicals, metals, mining, power and renewables sectors.
Founded in 1973, our success has always been underpinned by the simple principle of providing trusted research and advice that makes a difference to our customers. Today we have over 2,000 customers ranging from the largest global energy companies and financial institutions to governments as well as smaller market specialists.
Our teams are located around the world. This enables us to stay closely connected with customers and the markets and sectors we cover. Collectively this allows us to offer a compelling combination of global commodity analysis with detailed local market knowledge.
We are committed to supporting our people to grow and thrive. We value different perspectives and aspire to create an inclusive environment that encourages diversity and fosters a sense of belonging. We are committed to creating a workplace that works for you and encourage everyone to get involved in our Wellness, Diversity and Inclusion, and Community Engagement initiatives. We actively support flexible working and are happy to consider alternative work patterns, taking into account your needs and the needs of the team or division that you are looking to join.
Hear what our team has to say about working with us:
We are proud to be a part of the Verisk family of companies!
At the heart of what we do is help clients manage risk. Verisk (Nasdaq: VRSK) provides data and insights to our customers in insurance, energy and the financial services markets so they can make faster and more informed decisions.
Our global team uses AI, machine learning, automation, and other emerging technologies to collect and analyze billions of records. We provide advanced decision-support to prevent credit, lending, and cyber risks. In addition, we monitor and advise companies on complex global matters such as climate change, catastrophes, and geopolitical issues.
But why we do our work is what sets us apart. It stems from a commitment to making the world better, safer and stronger.
It's the reason Verisk is part of the UN Global Compact sustainability initiative. It's why we made a commitment to balancing 100 percent of our carbon emissions. It's the aim of our "returnship" program for experienced professionals rejoining the workforce after time away. And, it's what drives our annual Innovation Day, where we identify our next first-to-market innovations to solve our customers' problems.
At its core, Verisk uses data to minimize risk and maximize value. But far bigger, is why we do what we do.
At Verisk you can build an exciting career with meaningful work; create positive and lasting impact on business; and find the support, coaching, and training you need to advance your career. We've been recognized by Forbes as a World's Best Employer and a Best Employer for Women, testaments to our culture of engagement and the value we place on an inclusive and diverse workforce.Job Description
Wood Mackenzie is looking for a future focused Principal Software Engineer with excellent problem solving, teamwork, and communication skills to join our industry-leading data analytics company. We are headquartered in Edinburgh where our team is working on a next generation, data analysis & visualization platform utilized by our customer to drive billion-dollar decisions.
This role will be responsible for leading the design and implementation of our entire Data Platform that delivers unique natural resource data and analytics and driving innovation across the entire spectrum of energy sectors (Oil, Gas, Metals, Mining, Chemical, Renewables). You will have the opportunity to drive technical direction, architecture of the data services that are critical to this platform.
If you are looking to work for a company that matters, a company which has a significant and growing impact in the world, and if having a sense of purpose and contribution is important to you, we want to hear from you.What you'll do...
Our Data Platform is based on streaming and batch processes and is considered the single source of truth for our data. The event-based approach is being used to incrementally transition existing data processes, ensuring we meet key criteria around data integrity. This platform is also the key to increase our speed to market of new data driven products & services used by our five hundred internal analysts and hundreds of thousands of external users.
You will have the opportunity to lead technical direction, architecture design and our data teams to solve domain specific problems. Key areas of expertise include, technologies (Java, Python, Kafka, Kafka Streams, Spark, Hive, Airflow), container management and orchestration (Docker, ECS), and a cloud first approach (AWS).Delivery
- Lead project definition phase you assist in implementation efforts and managing multiple work streams
- Ensure that project deliverables align with the overarching technology strategy and adhere to architectural blueprints
- Complete accurate and thorough high-level technical designs and reference architectures to enable adoption and execution
- Assist in troubleshooting and support efforts for existing systems and applications, focused on improving our existing systems and applications
- Present business benefits of technical solutions and communicate technical concepts to non-technical colleagues and clients
- Develop and maintain an up-to-date knowledge of products and platforms relevant to the Wood Mackenzie domain (e.g. Data, Search, Front End, Content Management, Identity, Cloud)
- Collaborate across multiple teams to perform project scoping, estimation and technology feasibility tasks for the intended solution
- Facilitate cross-team work and be influential beyond your individual group
- Promote solutions over problems and cultivate cross-departmental relationships
- Act as an information conduit between teams to share learnings and experiences
- Review and manage the technical quality of deliverables ensuring it aligns with our architectural blueprints
- Work with lead engineers to set and evolve our engineering best practices
- Anticipating technical problems that will fall out of major products and designing solutions to overcome those problems
- Promote a culture of code quality, design excellence and continuous improvement
- Mentor engineers focused on growing their system design capabilities focused on performance, scalability and maintenance in mind
- Present tech talks on innovative and novel design and architecture approaches and how these integrate with our operations
- Act as and be seen as a respected and trusted technology advisor within technology and across the business
- Identify recruitment requirements and actively participate in the recruitment process.
- Proactively develop ideas and strategic proposals to drive the business forward
- Establish engineering forums and groups to advance our capabilities and share knowledge
- Build trust and confidence, and develop cross-departmental relationships Ensure engineering teams are supported both in terms of delivery and growth
- Instill a mindset of continuous improvement across the teams
- Strong technical foundation gained in a senior/lead engineering role with proven experience in systems development at scale
- Experience with leading, coaching and mentoring individuals and teams
- Experience in working in different delivery methodologies and an understanding of their benefits/constraints
- Experience in technical management and execution of large applications across multiple frameworks and platforms.
- Solid experience in overall system design, deployment and ongoing management of applications at scale
- Track record of identifying and recommending the most appropriate use of technology
- Strong knowledge of security and performance concerns
- Hands on expertise with agile methodologies and comprehensive understanding of modern patterns and practices: unit testing, inversion of control, repository, MVC, etc.
- Expert level knowledge in Java and Python.
- Bonus but not required GO, Rust or Scala.
- Expert knowledge of modern architectures (e.g. microservices, event driven) and stream processing technologies (Kafka Streams, Spark structured streaming, Faust, Flink etc)
- Hands on experience with application optimisation, automation, scaling, containerisation (Docker) and security in the cloud (AWS)
- Proven knowledge of continuous integration and delivery (Jenkins)
- Knowledge of Hadoop / Hive a bonus but not required.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Consistently demonstrate strong leadership and communication skills, initiative and drive
- Continuous improvement of team skills through mentoring.
- Measurable improvements to systems and applications in terms of maintainability, scalability and security
- Establish shared components, practices and patterns across the engineering team
- Participate in the definition and implementation of the engineering team roadmap
- Direct impact on the long-term success of technology products and applications
- Holding yourself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and expecting the same of co-workers
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.
All members of the Verisk Analytics family of companies are equal opportunity employers. We consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, veteran's status, age or disability.
Unsolicited resumes sent to Verisk, including unsolicited resumes sent to a Verisk business mailing address, fax machine or email address, or directly to Verisk employees, will be considered Verisk property. Verisk will NOT pay a fee for any placement resulting from the receipt of an unsolicited resume.
Consumer Privacy Notice