We're The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people.
We're the UK's largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we've been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we've consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes - going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we've never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We've continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak - and we've done it by transforming the way we work. The role itself will be a mix of on-site vs remote, we've adapted well to remote ways of working and will continue to embrace those practices moving forward.
We're fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We'll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? About the role
We're looking for a Head of Technology for our Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe. Here you will be responsible for the technical delivery and 24/7 operation of all software products and services within the DCX Tribe.
As a Tech Leader within the business you'll help us make key decisions, from Tech Procurement to Buy vs Build.
You will lead a top team of architects, software engineers, quality engineers, platform engineers, and third-party software providers (aaS and on-prem) to deliver and maintain high quality software products and services that are secure, stable and scalable.
Our DCX Tribe is a multi-disciplined technology team and we have over 100 colleagues in DCX alone.
Here you will be fully responsible for all technology delivery and operations within the DCX tribe, covering all aspects of ecommerce components and services that support our online customer journey.
Areas of focus will include: Search, Product Page, Basket, Onboarding, Checkout and the My Account area and this will span across all devices (App, Mobile, Desktop).
There is a direct cross over to supporting technology too, such as Digital Asset Management, Recommendations, Up-sell etc along with the underlying platform (AWS) and deployment pipelines.
In order to do this, you'll need to working closely with our head of product and head of delivery for your tribe and you will define and prioritise the technical vision, roadmap and backlog.About you
We're looking for a true Head of Tech to lead our DCX technology team to build and maintain software to standards that are world class. With a focus on security, performance, availability, and re-use to deliver high availability whilst managing cost to serve.
Our Head of Tech for DCX will help us build skills, attract new and world class talent, as well as foster a culture of in-house technical knowledge and innovation that can support a broad spectrum of software; in-house built, open source and 3rd party SaaS.
You'll already be evangelist of software engineering best practices; automation, TDD, pair-programming, API based, Micro services, inherent security and self-healing.
Our tribes form part of a wider technical community within the business, however we want our Tech Leaders to help us with our external community ambitions to help give back to the wider tech community as well as foster strong bonds to the Tech team at the Very Group.
- Significant experience of building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures (both build and bought), ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- Expert level knowledge of security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency architectural patterns and their application to enterprise scale systems.
- Expert level solution design experience across the full technology stack, including on-prem, public and hybrid cloud.
- Expert level experience of building, integrating and migrating service / component-based architectures across modern and legacy platforms.
- Practical experience of successfully delivering change in a lean / agile / DevSecOps environment.
- Industry recognised thought leader and influential speaker - able to galvanise large teams of diverse technologists behind a vision or goal.
- Ability to lead collaboration and influence decision making with strong stakeholder and 3rd party management skills.
- Computer Science degree or relevant experience (preferably at master's or PhD level).
- Experience in a technology leadership role within large, complex, blue-chip, 24/7 technology led organisations.
*A background in a hands-on software engineering role is essential (ideally you are still a practitioner).How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is a passionate Technology Leader looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health trained first aiders across the business
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility