About the role:
We are currently recruiting for a career minded individual work out of our Beckton Depo as a shift Operator. You will be responsible for the effective day to day running of Beckton Sewage Treatment Works. This is done by responding to specific situations to ensure the relevant processes are brought under control or escalated to an event. At times, you will be the responsible person on site to ensure that services are delivered in accordance to standards.
With this role every working day is different, which provides a very interesting, challenging and rewarding working environment. You will be at one of the biggest sewage treatments works in Europe and will receive full training and support for the Health & Safety, technical and process requirements related to the plant.
- Being responsible for the onsite operation of the Sewage Treatment Works, the plant and equipment.
- Assisting the SPCE with the day to day running of the site.
- Monitoring, collating and reporting data to ensure that statutory and regulatory compliance is met, and the site meets regulatory quality standards and customer demand.
- Processing faults and advise suitable rectification by first fix, raising issues to the SPCE or Team Leader as required.
- Regularly collecting water samples from around the site and complete basic laboratory analysis on them.
- Monitoring stock levels and request and take deliveries as required.
- Undertaking safety and security checks and taking responsibility for the health and safety of yourself and your colleagues.
- Operating and monitoring the processes to carry out operations and when required, inspect the process area.
- Undergo training in safety procedures.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience
- You must have good practical experience in a relevant industry and in a related role along with experience of helping to manage or control the appropriate processes.
- Experience within wastewater process and the ability to coordinate & prioritise work.
- A qualification in a technical discipline would be advantageous.
- You must be able to work unsupervised and be prepared to work both day shift and/or operate on a 12-hour shift pattern (where cover is required), and be fully competent at using the appropriate Company IT systems
- You must be prepared to be trained in safety procedures including working in confined spaces, chemical treatment.
- A valid driving licence.
- Previous experience of SCADA systems would be advantageous.
What's in it for you
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 24 days holiday per year increasing to 28 with length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We're also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK's largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That's why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We're passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We're also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We're reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We're using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world's poorest communities.
Together, we're building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you'll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We're also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.