We are recruiting for a Senior Permanent Way Engineer
to join our Rail business based in Bristol
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what's most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll see it's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It's a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world - and the world around them.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow.About The Role:
The primary focus of this role is to undertake and oversee the production of Permanent Way design/consultancy services for multidisciplinary infrastructure projects. Specific experience in the design (concept and detail) of permanent way is required, an underpinning appreciation of surveying, construction and maintenance techniques is preferable. The role involves the ownership of the technical delivery of permanent way projects, offering engineering expertise to internal and external stakeholders.
The role is a management position and will involve the day to day running of a design team and delivery of Permanent Way engineering deliverables to a wide range of rail clients. The successful candidate will also be required to enhance the team's portfolio of skills and expertise, developing and growing the Permanent Way team in Arcadis' Western and Wales Business Unit, including mentorship of junior team members.
Additional requirements of the role will be to support ongoing business development, and offering technical expertise to support the production of tender documentation for future works proposals. General Role Requirements:
- Responsible for the day to day management of the Permanent Way team.
- Reviewing and understanding of client technical requirements with forward communication to the design team.
- In depth knowledge of Permanent Way design for plain line and S&C, including componentry, alignment design and Permanent Way theory.
- Undertake Permanent Way alignment design, gauging analysis and production of supporting documents.
- Conceptual and detailed scheme development for mainline, light rail and depot Permanent Way
- Comprehensive understanding of UK rail standards and procedures.
- Practical application of risk reduction measures during the design stages, implementing safety by design principles through the production of design risk assessments, Hazard logs and active participation in HAZID and HAZOP process.
- Knowledge of CDM and CSM requirements for rail projects.
- Client Liaison, managing business critical relationships and communications with external and internal stakeholders.
- Attending and participating in engineering and project management meetings such as, Interdisciplinary design checks, progress meetings and design review sessions.
- Support the production of tenders for new works, including pricing and technical methodology proposals
- Production and checking of formal design reports to support Permanent Way alignment proposals
- Progress reporting of Permanent Way design delivery to support financial and budgetary control.
The main responsibilities of this role include, but are not limited to:
In achieving this you will be responsible for:
- Production of Permanent Way designs and provision of technical support throughout to support all stages of the design process (Feasibility through to Construction).
- Acting as CRE (Track) and CEM where appropriate
- Independently deliver / manage the production of design deliverables in accordance with client requirements (i.e. Form A, Form B and For Construction submissions) with supporting appendices as required.
- Offer Permanent Way expertise to internal and external stakeholders for the integration of multidisciplinary design projects.
- Supervise and oversee the running of the Permanent Way team. Developing growth of the team and technical capability of the department.
- Assure compliance with railway group and company standards
- Implement and ensure team compliance with Arcadis internal company policy and process
Experience and Qualification Requirements
- Technical quality of deliverables - undertaking checks of design deliverables completed by members of the team in accordance with company procedures.
- Timely delivery in accordance with design programmes.
- Manage personal / team budgets and resourcing to achieve financial targets.
- Keep up to date with industry best practice and where appropriate apply best practice within the team environment.
- Experience in Permanent Way Design, construction and maintenance.
- Demonstrable experience and understanding of Permanent Way throughout the engineering process from project inception to delivery, specifically on Network Rail Infrastructure.
- Computer literate and conversant with MS Office suite and relevant engineering software packages (Bentley™ RailTrack™, Microstation™, ClearRoute2, SD Calculator).
- Good communication skills and the ability to work within a small team whilst having a dedicated approach to working within and meeting strict project deadlines
- Good communication skills when dealing with clients, developers, consultants, elected representatives and the public
- Client focused approach to service delivery
- Chartered or Incorporated Engineer (CEng / IEng) or demonstrable evidence of progression to professional accreditation.
- Recognised engineering qualification or preferably a degree in Engineering
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people ﬁrst' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions.
Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other beneﬁts include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, ﬂexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.