You must hold a live DV CLEARANCE to apply for this roleData Engineer - Gloucester / Cheltenham
The Applied Intelligence business of BAE Systems delivers solutions which help to protect and enhance the connected world. Our solutions combine large scale data exploitation, 'intelligencegrade' security and complex services and solutions integration. We operate in four key domains of expertise: Cyber Security, Financial Crime, Communications Intelligence and Digital Transformation. Today, we have staff across the UK and Europe, the Americas, Asia Pacific and the Middle East.
Our people apply intelligence to protect and enhance national and organisational assets so that they can grow and prosper - from improving the health and efficiency of leading corporations to protecting critical infrastructures, safeguarding vulnerable people and catching criminals. Together, we make the world a safer place. Make everyday matter.About the Role:
To work as part of a client side team that defines and resolves complex data collection and data integration issues ( i.e. ETL - Extract, Transform and Load design and development ) to make data and information available to decision makers, internal and external interfaces and real time decision procedures with operation systems and delivery channels.
The Consultant Data Engineer specialises in helping clients within large scale projects and programmes to help shape specific solutions. However, they will also need to develop a holistic view of the organisation.
Consultant Data Engineers will often work closely with Enterprise Data Architects. Key Responsibilities:
What we are looking for:
- Designs, develops, tests and supports data collection, data integration and ETL applications to make information and data available to key client stakeholders and technical interfaces.
- Understands where the need for tight data controls arises to ensure seamless data flows around the organisation and to minimise future change.
- Models data requirements, data sources and data flows to bring order and structure to programmes of work.
- Defines how and where data is created, mastered and destroyed to ensure proper control over the lifecycle of corporate data assets.
- Understands how to add value to data - for example through data cleansing.
- Understands categories of products (and individual examples) that can be used to collect, integrate, store, visualise and govern data and metadata.
- Defines metadata to provide searchability and governance (including Records Management) for unstructured data.
- Undertake data mapping design activities to determine how data is mapped from source to target data sources within individual ETL application components.
- Undertakes data analysis and data profiling activities to identify data quality issues that could impact the design of individual ETL application components.
- Designs the appropriate data models that are needed within ETL application components.
- Develops and tests individual ETL application components.
- Helps support complete ETL applications and frameworks.
- Can utilise a number of ETL tools including Informatica, Ab Initio, Oracle ODI and a number of the Big Data / Open Source Applications.
- Designs and develops BI reporting solutions.
- Identifies and manages reference data (internal and external).
- Works under the supervision of a Senior Consultant Data Engineer.
About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- ETL Tool capabilities
- Ab Initio, Informatica and Oracle ODI
- Big Data / Open Source ETL Tools
- Database Management Systems
- Application Testing Tools
- Configuration Management and Version Control Tools
- Testing strategies and tools
- Infrastructure design
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals.Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.