From public service transformation to cutting-edge commercial projects, our work has a wide reach, helping make the everyday easier, for everyone. We need a Senior SQL DBA to join our team in Bridgend.
Alongside a competitive salary, we offer you our share scheme (3% + 3% matching) making you a member not just an employee. You also have the option to benefit from private medical and dental insurance, flexible retirement options, childcare vouchers and a cycle to work scheme.
As for the future? We work as one team, and are a Top 100 employer. Be a successful part of our story and we'll support you in taking your career anywhere you want it to go. When you start your CGI story, not only will you be improving people's lives, you can be sure we'll do the same for you. Your future duties and responsibilities
You will provide Database Administration and application support to our key clients and lead on Database transition/projects. This typically comprises of database administration, maintenance, capacity management, performance monitoring and tuning. Application support will include application releases and deployments and identification of data anomalies and code defects with the use of T-SQL statement tuning.
You will react to and resolve incidents within SLAs via our call management system and perform planned releases both in and out of core business hours supporting a bespoke application. You will also be involved in performing Change Management duties within change KPI targets, concentrating mainly on major changes.Required qualifications to be successful in this role
- You'll be across the latest developments in all SQL Server versions up to and including SQL Server 2019
- Knowledge of T-SQL for Database maintenance and data manipulations/queries.
- Knowledge of Database performance, troubleshooting and optimisation strategies
- Experience of working within the public cloud such as AWS or Azure and associated DBaaS technologies such as Remote Database Services or Azure SQL.
- Resolution of performance issues and root cause analysis.
- Ensure that maintenance, backup and disaster recovery plans are in place and adhered to
- Clear and early communication, ensuring that the line manager and/or relevant parties are kept informed of progress, issues, and difficulties.
- Mentoring of junior-level staff as necessary
- Engagement with Technical Architects and other senior members of CGI teams to provide input into technical designs
- Installation of new Database infrastructure, as well as monitoring its stability.
- A proactive and customer focused approach delivered within the CGI best practice framework
- Pro-actively keeping on top of security updates and making recommendations to apply major version upgrades in accordance with CGI policies.
- Provision and Knowledge of Disaster Recovery options and experience with their implementations (Log Shipping, Mirroring, Failover Clustering, Always-On Availability Groups)
- Excellent communication skills and production of documentation that provides clarity for both internal members and external customers.
- You will have a primary database skill of SQL Server. It would be advantageous to have a secondary skill of another RDBMS (MySQL, Oracle, Ingres, VoltDB, MongoDB, PostgreSQL).
- Experience of the SQL BI stack (SSIS, SSRS or SSAS)
- Experience of working with hybrid of third party application suppliers and in-house database platforms
- Knowledge and understanding of web technologies and standards especially as they apply to databases
You will be required to cover Weekly (1 evening) and Monthly (1 weekend) application/database upgrades.
The weekend could be over a 29hr period, an overtime rota of 3 DBAs will be required to cover this, of which you will be one. The successful applicant must either hold, or be willing and able to be Security cleared to SC level or higher.Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change-supporting our clients' digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.