At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
Job description:Maths Teacher x 2 Permanent PositionsHMP Lowdham Grange, Nottinghamshire£26,500 pa - F/T: 40 hours p/w + Company Benefits£10,600 pa - P/T: 16 hours, 2 days p/w + Company BenefitsThe Role
To develop, administer and deliver all aspects of your specialist subject at the varying levels and in line with the core curriculum and awarding body specification(s). To assist Education Managers / Head of Learning and Skills in the delivery of an education provision which increases employability, reduces the likelihood of reoffending and prepares prisoners for a successful return to the community.
In this role there is no expectation that any work would be done outside of attendance hours and so there is no preparation or marking to be done at home.What we are looking for in our candidates
Essential professional skills, knowledge and qualificationsQualifications
- Planning agreed programmes of education activities to meet course aims and objectives, including syllabi and schemes of work; reviewing and revising as continuous quality improvement.
- Preparing individual lesson plans, planning learning activities, using high quality learning materials, equipment and resources to maximise productive and effective learning opportunities for learners.
- Administer all aspects of the accreditation process for learners enrolled to the courses
- To ensure the delivery of a quality provision.
- Maintaining accurate records, including learner attendance, records of work, progression route and levels of achievement.
- Presenting reports for recruitment, retention and achievement and other performance reports as required.
- Establishing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with learners, to create an appropriate environment for learning.
- Teach lessons of 3 hours in duration AM and PM as required by the Learning and Skills Department.
- Maintain effective and thorough ILP's for each learner, setting targets and giving constructive feedback.
- Cover lessons as required in the absence of colleagues to meet contractual requirements.
- Managing resources within budget; carefully managing the use of equipment and resources actively encouraging learners to value them.
- Regularly evaluating own work and encouraging learners to evaluate constructively the programmes they attend, in order to contribute to the continuous development of the service.
- To ensure certification for those learners participating in the course.
- Provide learners with feedback and guidance to support their learning on a regular basis.
- Actively promoting all programme activities and ensuring that current, accurate and appropriate promotional material is available for the courses for they are responsible.
- Working with education and training colleagues, including attending curriculum area meetings and staff meetings; working with colleagues in other departments to enhance programme delivery and to promote education and training.
- Working in accordance with all statutory, Home Office, company and department requirements. This will include reporting security and /or intelligence information immediately to the Head of Learning Skills and making referrals to the designated person/professional service providers.
- Developing links with other disciplines within the programmes area within your contract.
- Maintaining links and information exchange with appropriate partnerships.
- To share in the responsibility for ensuring good standards of learner behaviour and taking appropriate disciplinary action as required.
- As required, to carry out rub down searching of prisoners to support the security aspects of the Tutor position.
- Assist in other area(s) of the prison when instructed and directed by senior management.
- Adhere to the sickness reporting guidelines set out at induction.
- Undertake other duties as directed by Senior Management.
- Level 4 Award in Education and Training (QCF)/Certificate in Education/PGCE
- Level 5 - subject specialism
- Level 3 Award in Education and Training (QCF)
- Level 3 - subject specialism
Skills and Abilities
- Have proven experience of working in an environment that demands strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Have demonstrated flexibility and the ability to work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Recent experience, and appropriate knowledge, of teaching your subject
- Experience of a custodial environment would be an advantage
- Able to form good working relationships.
- Responds to identified needs by undertaking self-directed learning, research and training as required.
- Establishes internal/external links as required.
- Liaise with sentence planning and Learning and Skills administration to select learners for the course.
- Develop and devise learning materials and approaches to the delivery of courses.
- Keep up to date with national developments in curriculum.
- Keep records as necessary to support the accreditation process.
- Maintain professional relationships with colleagues from other areas
- Deliver alternative subject(s) if the contract deems necessary.
- Adhere to Data Protection and Security at all times.
On occasion we receive significantly more applicants than expected for some vacancies and under such circumstances we reserve the right to bring forward the closing date of the advertisement. We therefore strongly advise you to apply for the role promptly to avoid disappointment should the closing date be brought forward. Serco is a Disability Confident Employer committed to employing and retaining people with disabilities. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview. For help with your application please contact 0345 010 4000.*Google Chrome is the preferred browser to access Serco careers website*