Shift Fitter - Electrical / Mechanical Engineer (Rail Vehicle Light Maintenance). 1 x fixed term contract for 6 months, and 1 x permanent opportunity available.
Arriva TrainCare provides Light and Heavy Train Maintenance services to the railway industry from its six strategically located maintenance depots.
We have two opportunities available (1 fixed term contract for 6 months and 1 permanent contract), as a Shift Fitter at our Tyne Yard (Gateshead) depot. With a salary of £33,973
(pro rata if fixed term contract) and great additional benefits including 26 days annual leave including bank holidays (pro rata if fixed term contract), pension, life and healthcare cover, Arriva Travel Pass, Cycle to Work scheme and Arriva Village retailer discount scheme.
You'll work an average of 35 hours per week, on a local night shift roster.PLEASE NOTE: By clicking apply on this site, you will automatically be redirected to the Deutsche Bahn Group / Arriva TrainCare website, where you will be required to complete an online application form.What will the role of Electrical / Mechanical Engineer (Rail Shift Fitter) entail?
As an Electrical / Mechanical Engineer (Rail Shift Fitter) you'll work as part of the Light Maintenance team and be responsible for efficiently carrying out the maintenance and overhaul of rail vehicles to laid down standards and procedures, and play an active part in the continuous improvement of product quality. Your duties will include, although not be limited to;
What will I need to be considered for this Electrical / Mechanical Engineer (Rail Shift Fitter) role?
- Carrying out routine maintenance and servicing activities, as well as some fault finding, diagnostics and minor repairs
- Assisting in ensuring rolling stock availability and that reliability targets are met
- Cover the Team Leader role as and when required
- Operating rail vehicles as required, within depot operating limits (once competent to do so)
Who we are:
- Be a time served electrical and / or mechanical engineer with a solid understanding of rail vehicle (preferred), aircraft or heavy plant maintenance activities
- Qualified to a minimum of City and Guilds / NVQ Level 3 or BTEC in Engineering, preferably within Rail Traction and Rolling Stock
- Good understanding of depot operations, with the ability to interpret engineering drawings
- Knowledge of health, safety and environmental standards and requirements
- Previous supervisory experience, gained as a Team Leader or deputy / relief Team Leader
- Driver operator / shunter assessment in relevant class of vehicle (desirable)
We're a rapidly growing organisation employing over 300 people, all of whom are immensely proud to be part of a business where everyone is valued, respected, and encouraged to share ideas and contribute to the success of the business. Our people thrive working in a friendly environment where no two days are the same, and where open communication and collaboration are at the heart of everything we do.
We have a bright future, moving into digitalisation and electrification, creating new opportunities for people with the right skills to join the modern rail industry. We can offer career progression, technical training and professional development to fresh-minded individuals who are not afraid to challenge the norm.
Arriva is committed to diversity, if you're good and meet the essential criteria outlined above, you're welcome. Please include a cover letter upon submitting your CV for this vacancy.
PLEASE NOTE: By clicking apply on this site, you will automatically be redirected to the Deutsche Bahn Group / Arriva TrainCare website, where you will be required to complete an online application form.All applications for this Electrical / Mechanical Engineer (Rail Shift Fitter) are to be submitted online, and strictly no agency calls or agency CV submissions.