To support the successful delivery of Princes business needs by providing a professional commercial service and by encompassing one or more of the core areas of procurement and contract management. The service is to be undertaken in accordance with high professional standards and business principles in compliance with company procedures and policies.
This position reports to the Senior Buyer / Head of Indirects.
The position demands a high degree of accountability to ensure control and expenditure of the company's funds through the management of supplier contracts, stocks and service levels and the responsibility for purchasing assigned materials in the most economical composition, quality, quantity, and combination, while considering the total cost of acquisition.
The holder of this position must keep up to date with all purchasing activities and market conditions to enable informed decisions to be made to adequately meet changing market conditions.Basic Functions
The Buyer will support the development of Indirect category plans and sourcing strategies for categories of spend across functional and organisation boundaries and to work with the assigned Senior Buyer to plan, organise and co-ordinate the ordering, shipping and stock levels of agreed product range(s) in line with the company's goals and objectives ensuring optimum value for money for Princes.DimensionsThe Buyer will:
Nature And Scope
- Engage with stakeholders to support the alignment of business strategy and policy to support the delivery of category plans.
- Influence operational & senior stakeholders to support the alignment of business strategy and policy to support the delivery of category plans.
- Ensure compliance to Princes Policies and Procedures
- Ensure contractual compliance and proactively manage supplier performance as well as all relevant Princes sites to which the Contracts / Agreements apply. In addition, the Buyer will support the delivery of innovation and cost reduction to the business through category plans including; best practice commercial terms; supplier relationship management strategies; volume leverage; total cost management; demand challenge; process efficiency/compliance; external benchmarking of best practice.
- Act as first point of contact for queries within the category and provide general advice and support and provide procurement, project and administration support as required.
- Act as a subject matter expert in the delivery of the Category Plan.
- Ensure Ethical compliance.
The holder of this position must keep up to date with all purchasing activities and market conditions to enable informed decisions to be made to adequately meet changing market conditions.
The position will interact at all levels of management, both inside and outside the company. The position requires the job holder to be able to communicate and work with logistics, Customer Services, Quality Management, Finance, Sales and colleagues within the buying function. A team player, Buyers will take a pro-active role in the business.
The job holder will be responsible for clear, concise communication and building effective working relationships with suppliers and shipping companies to ensure adequate understanding of the company's supply procedures, requirements and authorisation requirements.
This position creates, analyses, reviews and actions sourcing decisions. Therefore, where and when appropriate the job holder will assist and advise others in developing and updating supply strategies to maximise the effectiveness and efficiencies within the purchasing cycle.Principle Accountabilities
Performance will be measured by the individual's ability to:
- Manage conflicting business priorities
- Provide support and timely escalation to the Senior Buyer and/or head of Indirects.
- Ensure compliance of the business strategy and policy
- Ensure commercial compliance
- Proactively support the management and mitigation of commercial risks
- Provide commercial expertise and guidance
- Ensure collaborative working across the Indirect team
- Work collaboratively with the site teams / technical stakeholders, to ensure delivery of compliant procurement
- Produce and maintain quality category data/dashboards
- Provide support and potential escalation to the Senior Buyer / Head of Indirects
- Remain aware of current & future market trends and supply base.
- Ensure pre-market engagement to facilitate optimum commercial solutions
- Establish and maintain working relationships with external suppliers utilising SRM
- Negotiate contractual agreements with external providers to ensure the value for money and security of supply whilst ensuring effective competition, required quality and on-time deliveries.
- Managing the conflicting business priorities of various stakeholders.
- Expedite a solution of any problems that arise in relation to delivery date, quality, quantity, and cost of purchased goods and negotiate settlement with suppliers on any problems that have caused losses / additional costs to the company (poor quality, delivery delays, etc.)
- Communicate problem areas or market conditions that could have a significant effect on purchasing activities to the Business.
- Understand and maintain SAP to provide accurate information to all other departments
- Develop and maintain responsible suppliers for those products assigned ensuring they are maintained to a standard to meet Princes / Industry standards (e.g. BRC)
- Develop knowledge of the key personnel at each major supplier, their production processes, and internal systems.
- Manage contracts professionally and accurately, while maintaining cost conditions and source lists.
- Manage currency requirements in line with Group Policies.
- Support fully the efforts of other departments in achieving 100% customer satisfaction.
- Maintain accurate maintenance of master data. This includes certain parts of the Material Masters, Product groups and other areas deemed appropriate to the smooth running of Purchasing activities. Maintain purchasing data bases to ensure other departments have prompt accurate information. Use generated reports for control and purchasing decisions.
- Fully understand the SAP purchasing system and its relationship to the various 'interfacing' systems. Maintain all purchasing data bases to ensure other departments have prompt, accurate information. Use generated reports and screens for control and purchasing decisions
- Develop and maintain responsible suppliers for those products assigned ensuring they are maintained to a standard to meet Princes / Industry standards.
- Meet with suppliers in order to evaluate their services and products to seek out cost reductions, quality improvement, or new products
Performance will also be measured using a combination of the following metrics:
- Delivery of approved category plans and strategies
- Category savings
- Achievement of Personal Objectives
- Customer satisfaction surveys
- Interim and Annual Performance Reviews
- Deliver contract management plans & proactively measure and report compliance
- Achievement of Personal Development Plan outcomes
This list is not exhaustive and includes any other ad-hoc duties and responsibilities required from time to timeQualificationsExperience Required
- CIPS qualified or relevant equivalent qualification
- Minimum of 3 years relevant category experience
- Knowledge of key category management processes, tools and methodologies used across the whole procurement life-cycle
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of working collaboratively with the business to support commercial proposals
- Commercial negotiation and resolution skills
- Proactive, effective decision maker
- SAP experience
- Chartered Membership of a relevant institution (e.g. Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply)
- Working knowledge of Food Industry and contract law
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people appointed to the role of buyer within Princes Foods. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills.
Please forward a copy of your CV and covering letter to email@example.com
Princes Limited is committed to equality of opportunity. All applicants will be judged solely on their merits.