Please note this is a temporary contract for a duration of 1 month
Department: Finance and Management Information
Section: Financial Control
Job Title: Interim Payments Manager
Responsible for: Line Management 4 staff in the Payments Team
PURPOSE OF THE POST
Responsible for managing the processing of invoices and payments to suppliers, students, other organisations and ad hoc payments and for ensuring systems and processes relating to payments are efficient, fit for purpose and ensure a good level of financial control.
ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Responsible for management of the Payments team including working with the Payments Team Leader in planning the daily operations of the Payments Team.
2. Responsible for the processing and payment of supplier invoices, foreign currency invoices, external and student expenses, access, hardship and bursaries, fee and residences refunds, payments to statutory bodies and all ad hoc payments
3. Responsible for ensuring that all payment proposals are checked for accuracy before payment is made are reconciled to statements and other records as appropriate
4. Management of month end and year end processes including posting of transactions and reconciling purchase ledger and other control accounts.
5. Work closely with the Procurement Team to ensure that P2P processes are developed appropriately to meet the changing needs of the University.
6. Assist the Group Financial Controller in maintaining the authorised signatory register.
7. Assist the Group Financial Controller in ensuring the team are developed and receive appropriate training. Interim Payments Manager August 2020
8. Responsible for setting service levels for the Payments Team, communicating these to customers and reporting on performance.
9.Assist the Group Financial Controller in documenting and maintaining procedures for supplier, student and other payments.
10. To follow financial procedures and regulations, ensuring that good financial control is maintained at all times including specific procedures around the payment of suppliers, student expenses, refunds and ad hoc payments.
11. Put in place protocols for the management of queries from staff, students and suppliers, ensuring that a good level of customer service is maintained.
12. Other reasonable tasks as directed by the Group Financial Controller
1. Able to demonstrate an understanding of equality and diversity, and its practical application
2. Experience of managing teams processing purchase ledger and other payment transactions
3. Experience of managing month end processes including reconciling ledgers and control accounts
4. Experience of internal audit processes and of maintaining and improving financial controls
5. Experience of developing systems and procedures in relation to financial processing
6. Knowledge of procedures and other matters relevant to payment of suppliers, expenses and ad hoc payments
7. Proven ability to raise and maintain service levels with a good understanding of how to deliver good customer services in relation to this role.
8. Technical qualification (Level 4 eg AAT, similar or above) desirable 9. Previous exp of using Agresso and data capture and P2P software desirable