Our globally respected client, due to continued business growth is looking to recruit a confident; well organised and self-reliant Software Engineer to join the Systems Engineering Team.
The Systems Engineering team is responsible for developing new capabilities and maintaining and enhancing existing capabilities. These capabilities incorporate the control of plant such as valves, model movement systems, safety function, monitoring, and control systems, control of high speed and infra-red cameras, operator stations (GUIs and HMIs), and data acquisition.
The role is to develop LabVIEW software with a focus on improving productivity and addressing obsolescence associated with legacy software and equipment. The successful candidate will also have opportunities to contribute to the enhancement of existing systems, and development of new capabilities which emerge from the technical challenges posed by our customers at the forefront of cutting-edge research & development.
Software Engineer - LabVIEW Main responsibilities:
* Bring existing software up to a standard version of LabVIEW, resolving known bugs, and refactoring where necessary to ensure that software is maintainable and efficient going forward.
* Evaluate existing hardware platforms such as Compact RIO, PXI Chassis, and Windows PCs, making a case for upgrading where necessary to enhance maintainability and address obsolescence.
* Preserve the maintainability of our distributed system by ensuring that work undertaken on each system respects system boundaries, has high cohesion, low coupling and strong encapsulation to maintain system modularity and fault tolerance.
* Collaborate on projects producing modules of code as defined by software architectures.
* Produce software documentation including test plans, user documentation and manuals.
* Carry out test plans to commission new capabilities, and regression test upgraded systems.
* Ensure minimal loss of service at all times to the users of any system under upgrade.
* Support operations by providing technical support and troubleshooting to maximise availability of systems.
Software Engineer - LabVIEW Essential Skills and Qualifications:
* Honours degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering, or a related degree such as Electronics Engineering with demonstrable industrial experience in software engineering.
* Must have demonstrable experience of:
o Developing LabVIEW code for NI Hardware platforms such as Compact RIO and PXI.
o Producing applications that interface to sensors and actuators for monitoring and controlling plant, rigs or equipment.
o Producing applications using Ethernet communication protocols such as TCP, UDP and other industrial protocols.
o Applying version control, testing processes, and coding standards.
* Methodical troubleshooting and debugging skills, with a passion for problem solving and investigation. Equally strong analytical skills to assist with data analysis and problem identification.
* Familiarity with the configuration of Windows PCs and hardware.
* A thorough understanding of the factors affecting software performance, and the ability to design, write and document code that is maintainable, extensible and efficient.
* Good time management skills to ensure that deadlines are met or exceeded to maximise operational availability.
Software Engineer - LabVIEW Desirable skills:
* National Instruments LabVIEW Certification
* National Instruments training courses: LabVIEW FPGA and LabVIEW Realtime
* Knowledge of other programming languages such as C or Fortran
* Experience using communication protocols such as CAN, Modbus and Profibus
* Control system, data acquisition, and signal processing/conditioning experience
* Experience of designing and creating intuitive graphical user interfaces
* Experience producing deterministic code for use in time critical applications
* A basic understanding of other engineering disciplines such as electronics, mechanical, etc...
The successful candidate must satisfy security clearance requirements - including the last 5 years continual UK residency.
Please apply ASAP