J. Murphy & Sons Limited is a leading global, specialist engineering and construction company founded in 1951 that improves lives by delivering world-class infrastructure. Operating in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada, we provide better engineered solutions to infrastructure sectors including transportation; water; power; natural resources; and construction & property.Headquartered in London, we also have a number of related businesses - Ground Engineering; Utility Connections; Murphy Plant; Urban Infrastructure; Murphy Process Engineering; Pipeline Testing Services; Specialist Welding Services; and Electrical Services. We are specialists in delivering pipelines; design; marine; structural steel; tunnelling; fabrication; bridges and piling; and invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant; equipment and facilities.
Quantity Surveyor - London
Murphy are recruiting a Quantity Surveyor to join the Thames Water Agility Alliance Framework. Based in Esher, Thames Water depot. Are you an ambitious QS with civils/NEC experience looking to lead a team of AQS's and commercial assistants? The project is due to turnover £22 million delivering 5000 jobs across London.
Looking to make the step up to SQS within 6 months demonstrating commercial acumen, leadership and mentoring skills, then this is the role for you.
WHY JOIN MURPHY
Murphy is all about people...around 3,500 of them in fact! We deliver essential infrastructure projects in the UK, Canada and Ireland that help peoples' lives and local economies to thrive. From wastewater plants to power cables, from residential developments to rail projects...plus much, much more...what we do keeps the country running!
Our Water Business is operating nationally providing world-class infrastructure solutions to Thames water, United Utilities, Severn Trent, HS2, Bristol Water, South East Water, Wessex Water and Sutton & East Surrey Water. The Water Business has an annual turnover of c. £120 million.
Murphy are working on a number of frameworks in the South of England and the Midlands and future opportunity in London on frameworks and a utility diversion D&B project
* Experience within a similar role for a tier 1 contractor.
* HND/Degree qualification
* CSCS Card (relevant type)
* Comprehensive NEC contract experience and demonstrable commercial awareness.
* Exposure to the Water / Civils / Infrastructure environment essential
* A willingness to travel as the projects dictate
* An ambitious leader who is looking to commercially lead on projects worth c. £30 million, drive profitability and always acting with integrity.
* Preparation of internal commercial reporting and any other reports which may be required
* Preparation of Valuations/Application for payment with full supporting documentation in accordance with the contract
* Management of Cost Reports to the Client with contractually compliant supporting documentation
* Preparation and management of subcontract and material procurement schedules
* Administration of subcontractor/supplier accounts from the preparation of detailed requisitions, monitoring and authorisation of subcontract payments through to agreement of final accounts
* Undertake the contract administration, including change management and maintain associated registers
* Identifying commercial risks, opportunities, value engineering and change
* Challenge & manage in cost control / cost mitigation
* Ensure the correct site records are maintained
* Have an up to date Cost to Complete and Risk analysis Register for the projects(s)
* Preparation, negotiation and agreement of change events, extension of time claims, final accounts etc
* Measurement of quantities in accordance with the standard methods of measurement as required
* Ensure appropriate Client Management is initiated and maintained
* competitive salary
* car or car allowance
* 27 days holiday (option to buy or sell 2 per year)
* Discretionary annual bonus
* Above market rate pension
* 2x charity days/giving back days
* Life assurance
* Other Murphy benefits include: include retail discounts and cashback, discounted gym memberships, cycle to work scheme etc