As an infrastructure specialist, Murphy directly employs more than 4,000 engineers, professional managers and skilled operatives across the world. We operate in the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada. We have a number of specialist capabilities such as pipelines, process, marine, tunnelling and piling, and we invest heavily in our substantial holding of plant, equipment and facilities.
Assistant Project Manager - Rail
Based Ulleskelf with travel
The Trans-Pennine Route Upgrade aims to deliver faster, longer, more frequent and more reliable services across the north of England, from Newcastle, Hull and York towards Manchester and Liverpool via Leeds.
The East of Leeds part of the Trans-Pennine Route between York and Leeds was awarded to an Alliance including J. Murphy and Sons.
Main Purpose of Role
To work with the Project Manager with the overall management and delivery of project and manage the delivery of a Section(s) of the project.
* Ensure that the work in the team is carried out in accordance with Company procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained
* Assist in the management of external design teams on behalf of the Design Manager, ensuring they achieve targets and milestones set
* With the assistance of the Design Manager, work to and maintain the contract programme ensuring key milestones are achieved
* Ensure that commercial change is captured and reported to the Client at the earliest opportunity by liaising with the Design Manager and QS
* Plan, programme and resource site surveys in accordance with the designer's specification
* Prepare site paperwork associated with survey works in accordance with Company SHESQ procedures and policies (WPP's, TBS's, Risk Assessments, ALO Plans etc)
* Liaise with and obtain quotes from sub-contractors for specialist work items, in accordance with Company procurement procedures
* Assist the estimator in producing estimates to undertake design and survey works
* Liaise with key stakeholders associated with the scheme at an early stage to understand their requirements and expectations
* Prepare site land access strategies for schemes and submit to the Client
* Liaise with the Client's land agents to ensure agreements with third party land owners are made in advance and appropriate to the requirements of schemes
* Liaise with internal Company environmental team to understand environmental constraints and mitigation on schemes
* Undertake site visits when appropriate
* Assist the CRE in the preparation of detailed designs in accordance with Client standards
Experience & Qualifications
* Site Management or Site Engineer background is ideal for this role
* Proven civils construction experience, in a railway environment
* Design management exposure would be good
* Experience of working on Network Rail projects
* Experienced in preparing site paperwork
* Strong project management experience and confident when dealing with the Client and working with programmes
* Computer literate with a good working knowledge of Microsoft packages, including Microsoft Project, and PDF editors
* HND or HNC in Civil engineering
* APM qualification
* IOSH or similar safety qualification
* Flexible working approach and happy to travel