Main purpose of job
To deliver an effective enforcement and compliance service covering all unauthorised developments relating to the Planning Acts and to ensure that development is carried out in accordance with approved plans and conditions
1. Identifying and investigating complaints regarding potentially complex breaches of planning control and taking the necessary action to rectify breaches by negotiation and correspondence.2. Preparing delegated and committee reports and recommendations regarding breaches of planning control which require rectification by legal processes under planning law.3. Providing the necessary evidence to the Borough Solicitor regarding breaches of planning control by way of interviews, site inspections, photographs and measurements.4. Acting as the Council's witness at Planning Inquiries and at Court hearings concerning enforcement action, prosecutions, Certificates of Lawful Development and other proceedings as and when required to do so.5. Provide advice and manage a caseload of high hedge enquiries and planning applications and related appeals.
1. To ensure the efficient and customer focused handling of a caseload of delegated and committee compliance and enforcement cases through the statutory process including appeals procedures and present cases to the Development Control Committee.2. To prepare statements of case and proofs of evidence for appeals relating to enforcement and compliance functions and to attend Informal Hearings and Public Inquiries as the Council's professional witness.3. Liaising with staff in other Business Units of the Council, with Borough Councillors and with Organisations outside the Council such as Police, Interest Groups, Parish Councils, and the County Council to establish close contacts and working relationships.4. Checking planning permissions / consents to ensure that development proceeds in accordance with approved plans and conditions and for this purpose carrying out necessary site inspections.5. Serving notices where personal service is necessary.6. Dealing with correspondence on possible compliance and enforcement matters and ensuring that effective and accurate records of all investigations are maintained.7. Assisting planning, conservation, highway and arboricultural officers in investigating breaches of Regulations and Orders within their professional disciplines.8. To handle a small case load of planning applications and appeals where it is expedient and appropriate and where those cases refer to compliance and enforcement related matters.9. Keep abreast of current legislation, policies and regulations related to investigating and making recommendations on breaches of planning control.10. Working as part of a team to achieve targets and standards, monitoring performance and continuing Personal and Professional Development.11. Be aware of health and safety at work and report any work related activity that gives rise to personnel, staff or public safety.12. To undertake such work as the Planning Development Manager may determine that is compatible with the responsibility of the post.
Qualifications and Experience
Academic, technical and professional
* Secondary Education equivalent to five or more GCSE passes at Grade A, B, or C or a technical qualification in a related field
* Education to a degree level or equivalent
* Planning or planning enforcement qualification (or the ability to obtain)/Technical membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
Work Experience & Attainments
Previous work experience relevant to the job
* Evidence of development management experience, or planning enforcement experience. Candidates who do not have experience but can demonstrate the necessary skills may apply and will be considered.
* Managing complex development proposals or enforcement cases
* Appeals experience
* Demonstrable evidence of excellent oral and written communication skills
* Evidence of working within a busy team environment