Mechanical Assurance Engineer (Production)
Competitive Salary + Excellent Benefits
Full Time, Permanent
About the Company
Essar Oil UK is a leading UK-focussed downstream energy company whose main asset is the Stanlow Manufacturing Complex, one of the most advanced refineries in Europe and situated close to the major cities of Liverpool and Manchester. Stanlow is a key strategic national asset, annually producing over 16% of the UK's road transport fuels, while playing an important part in Britain's petrochemical industry by providing key feedstocks.
The business is a major supplier in the North West and beyond with customers including most of the major retail brands operated by international oil companies and supermarkets, Manchester Airport, leading commercial airlines and the region's trains and buses.
The business covers crude and product trading, refinery operations, HSE implementation, maintenance support and technological services, together with marketing and retail activities. Our commitment to maintaining safe and healthy working conditions and following the best operating practices to protect the environment underpins everything we do.
We employ over 900 highly trained and loyal staff, who are at the heart of everything we do. The company has an embedded safety culture, technically challenging work across the different parts of the business and some of the best training available in the energy industry.
We currently have an exciting opening for a Mechanical Assurance Engineer within our Engineering Team. The role supports the Operations, Maintenance and Process Engineering functions, assigned to four manufacturing areas within the Refinery, through the technical assurance of mechanical assets. The role involves area ownership, but with flexibility to move to meet Operational and Manufacturing Support Team requirements. The priorities for the Mechanical Engineer are managed by the Operations Asset Manager, with the primary responsibility to maintain safe and reliable production.
Key areas of focus include:
- To provide day-to-day mechanical engineering support to Operations and Maintenance, working with the Project, Electrical, Control and Process Engineering teams to optimise plant availability, performance, equipment reliability and cost, ensuring compliance to site, nationally and internationally recognised engineering standards (e.g. ASME, ANSI). It is also expected, on occasion, that there will be a requirement to support issues with a longer term timeline
- To ensure mechanical asset integrity is maintained and meets the requirements of health, safety and environmental regulations required for a top tier COMAH site. This includes all aspects of static and rotating mechanical equipment
- To ensure compliance with Company, site, national and international standards with respect to equipment maintenance and maintenance of the overall condition of the asset base and its operation
- To provide design and mechanical development for emergent management of change documents and processes, whilst working towards becoming a site nominated mechanical engineer signatory
- To support the planning, preparation and execution of major and minor site turnarounds, including scope definition and optimisation
- To manage the Non Standard REVEX budget for the defined production unit area of responsibility (typically $2-3 million per year)
- To provide engineering assurance for the Production Unit with regards to the management of statutory and non-statutory inspection events in line with the applicable Essar Business Process. This includes acting as an independent reviewer of Inspection Reports and Pressure Safety Systems Regulations Written Schemes of Examination
- To participate with the production unit's Risk Based Inspection processes, working closely with the Process Engineering and Inspection departments to ensure accuracy of the plants' corrosion loops
- To support the Reliability team with Root Cause Analysis, Incident Investigations and Reliability Centred Maintenance reviews
- To provide mechanical support to the Essar Projects department, participating in various stages of the project process (eg scoping, design, execution, construction and procurement) and attending regular project meetings and design reviews
- To manage minor Non Standard REVEX projects under the Essar management of change system
- To provide out of normal working hours support based on business needs
The role is supported by a senior mechanical engineer who is responsible for longer term issues and reliability improvements
Key challenges include:
- Maintaining focus on providing dedicated day-to-day mechanical engineering assurance to a busy Production Unit, enabling the business to achieve the production plan
The successful candidate will hold a minimum BEng in Mechanical Engineering and either Chartered or working towards Chartered status, with practical experience in process plant engineering. Our successful candidate will be required to manage a wide range of complex engineering issues, simultaneously, to tight deadlines and budgets and must be able to rigorously prioritise work. They will be results orientated and able to work under pressure in a fast paced environment, possessing strong interpersonal, communication and influencing skills. They will be a competent problem solver, self-motivated and proactive.
A working knowledge of downstream oil and gas static and rotating process equipment, safety procedures and systems would be advantageous, but is not essential. Good awareness of national and international Engineering standards (e.g. API, ASME) and the ability to research and apply this to Assurance work is desirable, along with having the ability to understand limitations of knowledge and possess the ability to seek guidance when required. Experience with risk assessment and mitigation would also be beneficial.
The role holder will be expected to become a Plant Signatory within a reasonable period of employment and partake in site Turnaround activities which include extended operating hours.
#jobs #recruiting #mechanicalengineer #assurance #COMAH #petrochemical #stanlow #ellesmereport