- Role: Technical Architect - REF HQ00018873
- Contracting Authority: Cambridgeshire County Council
- Contract Length: Initially 13 weeks with the potential to extend to 12-18 months
- Location: Cambridge
- IR35: Inside IR35
- Pay Rate to Candidate: £19.54 per hour
- Security Clearance: BPSS/ DBS
As a temporary Technical Architect working for Cambridgeshire County Council through Opus LGSS, you will develop and maintain a forward looking and resilient technology architecture for LGSS and input into the development of IT strategies while reflecting relevant national and local standards and partnerships. You will provide the Technical Design Authority to ensure compliance with the LGSS IT Strategy and other relevant corporate strategies.
Responsibilities will include:
Technical Architecture Development
Responsibility for various aspects of the IT architectural design and roadmaps, ensuring that the architecture balances functional, service quality and systems management requirements, whilst supporting the implementation of the IT Strategies and partnership arrangements.
Contribute to various aspects of the Corporate IT Strategies to ensure that they are responsive to the needs of the organisations, comply with national and local standards and are underpinned by a sound technical architecture. Work with the wider Strategy &Architecture Team to ensure that the strategy is coherent across the IT environment for the whole partnership.
Technical Design Authority
Manage the integrity and quality of the technology architecture by investigating proposals for new systems and producing judgements about whether they are compliant with the architecture, involvement in design and procurement, and management of technical standards groups.
Technical Project Management
Contribute from the earliest stages to technology projects in accordance with best practise and LGSS processes to ensure professional delivery, specifically making sure the scope and objectives are clearly defined, risks are evaluated and managed, communication to stakeholders is effectively managed and issues efficiently resolved.
Development and maintenance of the security architecture in liaison with Internal Audit, the Security Architect and suppliers to ensure that gateways to partners and suppliers can be managed systematically and risks are managed effectively.
Use a wide range of techniques (including oral and written presentations, policy and technical documents) to negotiate, influence and persuade senior IT staff and business managers, both within the organisation and with key suppliers and partners, to ensure that the architecture is understood and supported by all stakeholders.
Research and Development
Investigate emerging technologies, products, methods and techniques to assess their potential benefit to the organisation and role in the IT strategy and make recommendations about the deployment of technology within the authority.
Technology Infrastructure Awareness
Research and maintain up-to-date knowledge of emerging technology trends and developments in areas of interest to the organisation, by regular direct contacts and attendance at conferences and seminars as well as reading academic research, learned publications and suppliers' information. Use this knowledge and understanding to produce recommendations to improve and develop the IT infrastructure and provide technical leadership to other teams within the IT Service.
Documentation and Handover
Produce documentation and manage handover to implementation teams in a way that ensures efficient and supportable establishment of new services.
- Degree or equivalent in the relevant subject area, Formal network training and associated professional qualification MCSE
- Deep practical and theoretical experience of infrastructure technologies and systems including Windows desktop, Exchange, Windows server, DNS, DHCP, IP addressing, remote access and Internet technologies.
- Experience of working on and providing consultancy to major technology design and rollout projects.
- Good knowledge of security products and architectures.
- Experience of integration between partners, between systems from different suppliers and between the client and its suppliers.
- Working with technology suppliers on products and services.
- Experience of new product evaluation, R&D projects and procurements.
- Good understanding of the project management lifecycle with special emphasis on Technical Projects
- Good practical knowledge of policy and standards formulation and management.
- Experience of working in teams to devise new approaches and strategies.
- Ability to analyse complex issues and quickly identify possible solutions based on a sound analysis of the information available.
- Ability to analyse problems and produce a range of options, culminating in a preferred solution, where problems may be complex and multi-faceted, difficult to define and may have no perfect solution.
- Ability to understand the "Bigger Picture", through thinking innovatively and conceptually.
- Previous involvement in the architecting of a data centre move.
- Used to working with minimal supervision and considerable autonomy/freedom to operate.
- Must be able to engage staff at all levels both within and outside of the organization.
- Must be skilled at working with multi-functional teams and building on the work of others in other parts of the organisation.
- Excellent communication skills (including presentation skills) appropriate to a wide range of diverse audiences, at all levels of seniority inside and outside the organisation.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/88373033