Chair of Trustees
Devon Community Foundation are seeking a Chair to join their board, to provide inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity
About Devon Community Foundation
Established in 1996, Devon Community Foundation is a unique organisation, privileged to be working alongside people who are motivated by wanting to make a difference across Devon.
We use our knowledge of local needs and the voluntary sector to manage high impact distribution of funds designed to achieve sustainable outcomes, awarding financial support on behalf of our Fund holders and donors, which enable local people to achieve inspiring change in their communities.
The Foundation provides a flexible and personal way for individuals and organisations to invest in local projects, helping to ensure Devon’s communities thrive. The Foundation’s philanthropy advice and grant making services are quality assured through UK Community Foundations and endorsed by the Charity Commission.
About the role
The Chair will hold the Board and Executive Team to account for the Charity’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership to the Board of Trustees, ensuring that each trustee fulfils their duties and responsibilities for the effective governance of the charity. The Chair will also support, and, where appropriate, challenge the Chief Executive and ensure that the Board functions as a unit and works closely with the entire Executive of the charity to achieve agreed objectives. They will act as an ambassador and the public face of the charity in partnership with the Chief Executive.
For further details on the role responsibilities please see the candidate pack.
- Demonstrate a strong and visible passion and commitment to DCF, its strategic objectives and cause
- Personal gravitas to lead a significant organisation
- Exhibit strong inter-personal and relationship building abilities and be comfortable in an ambassadorial role
- Demonstrate tact and diplomacy, with the ability to listen and engage effectively
- Strong networking capabilities that can be utilised for the benefit of DCF
- Ability to foster and promote a collaborative team environment
- Ability and intention to commit the necessary time to conduct the role well, including travel and attending events
- Experience of operating at a senior strategic leadership level within an organisation
- Successful track record of achievement through their career
- Experience of charity governance and working with or as part of a Board of Trustees
- Experience of external representation, public speaking and working with stakeholders
- Significant experience of chairing meetings and events
Knowledge and skills
- Broad knowledge and understanding of the Civil Society sector and current issues affecting it
- Strong leadership skills, ability to motivate staff and bring people together
- Financial management expertise and a broad understanding of charity finance issues
- Good understanding of charity governance issues
Four board meetings per year. The Chair is also expected to have regular meetings with the Chief Executive, annual 1:1’s with fellow Trustees and to represent the Charity at various events (including UKCF’s Chairs events) and meetings with key stakeholders.
How to apply
All applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. Please send: 1) Your current comprehensive CV, including details of two referees (who will not of course be contacted without your prior knowledge and consent) 2) A supporting statement outlining how you feel your skills and experience could be of benefit to DCF and, crucially, detailing your motivation for applying for the role, particularly as the charity continues to grow and prepares for long term sustainable growth.