- Role: Principal Solicitor - REF RQ372947
- Contracting Authority: London Borough of Redbridge
- Contract Length: 01/10/19 - 01/01/2020
- Location: Redbridge, London
- IR35: In Scope
- Pay Rate to Candidate: £26.68 - £40.00 per hour DOE
- To act as principle legal adviser in relation to non-contentious contract matters, including complex projects which may involve one or more aspects relating to property issues, human resource issues, local government powers issues.
- To have a leading role in assisting the Head of the Advisory Group in the provision of a comprehensive legal service within the remit of the Group;
- To have a leading role in assisting the Head of the Advisory Group in the management of the Group.
To deal be a source of expertise and knowledge and provide advice, guidance and practical assistance on Local Government law generally and with some or all of the following areas of law in particular:
(a) Complex contract matters;
- Competition Law;
- Property, including Commercial Property and Landlord and Tenant;
- Compulsory purchase;
- Construction law;
- Corporate Projects, Development and Regeneration Projects, including Private Finance Initiatives and Public Private Partnerships;
- The law relating to Data Protection and Freedom of Information;
- Employment law in a contractual relations context.
To deal personally with complex contracts and commercial transactions, including drafting and negotiating.
To deal with contractual disputes up to the issue of proceedings.
To gather, appraise and disseminate information on proposed and new legislation and case law developments in respect of the whole range of the Group's activities generally and property law particularly, including reporting to the Cabinet and Committees and clients on the practical effect of changes in the law.
To prepare reports for and attend and advise the Council's Cabinet and Committees, and associated working groups.
To represent Legal Services at meetings with Councillors, inter-departmental meetings and meetings with outside bodies, including government departments and inter-agency meetings.
To maintain close working relationships with Directors, Heads of Service and other senior officers, and with Committee Chairs and Members in connection with the work of the Group.
To prepare briefs to Counsel and cases for the opinion of Counsel and to attend conferences with Counsel.
To tackle problems requiring extensive research and a wide working knowledge of the practice of law.
When required by Group Manager to assist in the other work of the Group.
To instruct and work constructively with external solicitors and other consultants when appropriate.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/88023375