Senior Engineering Manager
- Senior Engineering Manager role based in Hamble, Southampton.
- Opportunity to join a market leading design and manufacturing business.
About Our Client
Qioptiq (An Excelitas Technologies Company) is a leading global supplier of opto-electronics and photonic products present in a variety of markets from medical and biotechnology to semiconductor and industrial markets.
They are proud to be known for their high-quality standard components, products and instruments, custom modules and assemblies, leading-edge innovation, precision manufacturing and responsive global resourcing.
Their expertise in the industrial manufacturing sector makes them the perfect partner and supplier for many companies. Customers appreciate their extensive experience in the medical and life sciences sectors and they have everything R&D labs need for their experimental setups. They also have a complete offer of components, modules, technology and equipment for defence and aerospace applications.
Through a series of acquisitions, Qioptiq has an impressive history and pedigree, and benefits from having integrated the knowledge these leading businesses. They are proud to be the home to the world-famous LINOS Catalogue and online Qioptiq shop. They now maintain a worldwide presence with locations throughout Europe, Asia and North America.
In October 2013, Qioptiq was acquired by Excelitas Technologies Corp., which is a leading provider of high-performance optoelectronic solutions to OEM customers serving a variety of applications across a wide range of markets worldwide.
The Senior Engineering Manager will provide leadership of the engineering department with particular emphasis on laser and fibre technologies in Hamble, Southampton. Responsibilities:
- Provide leadership across NPI, Mechanical Engineering, Photonics, Reliability, Electronics and Software.
- Human Resource responsibility for direct reports and overall developmental, organisational and disciplinary responsibility for all engineering team members in Hamble (excludes Project Management and Product Management).
- Member of the site management team with constituent responsibilities to assist directors in steering of the local business entity.
- Technical lead of the Hamble based engineering team.
- Resource prioritisation and allocation utilising available tools based on the outcomes of the Engineering Round Table whilst ensuring that the project managers remain fully supported and able to deliver in accordance with their agreed project plans.
- Working closely with the Principal Engineer, technical authority for all designs and technical processes/procedures that could affect the performance, reliability or effectiveness of the product.
- Process ownership of all departmental procedures including product and export compliance.
- Project management of minor product modifications as required including some CAPA projects.
- Ensure all necessary tools and equipment are available for the department and ensure the engineering laboratories are maintained, kept safe and organised to facilitate a breadboard based experimental culture.
- Technical support of Product Management and Sales as required.
- Departmental budget planning and spend tracking in accordance with local controls and AOP.
- Planning and executing of product and process specific technology development in cooperation with the business segment Product Development Manager and other stakeholders.
- Technical support and guidance to Hamble Operations ensuring that best technical practise is adhered to CI & NPI project teams.
- Ensure the team is maintaining a high standard of technical knowledge.
- Represent the company with customer visits and audits both on site and at customer premises.
- Support Project Management to provide monthly project status updates (project report summary) of main development projects.
- Provide input into Segment and Product Management for quotations (NRE costs, project schedule, calculations etc.).
- Monitor key yield figures and work with Operations to improve through technical and process improvements.
- Via a monthly dashboard report on key ongoing initiatives such as ECN backlog, CMI updates, PSF validations, NC closures, IR & 8D progress, resource allocation, CAPA savings etc.
The Successful Applicant
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, Qioptiq are looking for:
- Knowledge in leading interdisciplinary engineering teams within a hi-tech environment, ideally within the photonics industry.
- MSc or PhD degree in physics, applied physics or relevant discipline.
- Knowledge in realising technically challenging opto-electronic and optical solutions.
- Strong understanding of laser and optics.
- Knowledge in the design and production of fibre optics and lasers is highly desirable.
- Strong analytical skills.
- SPC knowledge.
What's on Offer
£55,000 - £60,000 + attractive company benefits.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPTJ14046300Z
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/87986242