Chair of Trustees
The Children's Sleep Charity are seeking a new Chair of Trustees for their Board.
As a charity we have ambitious plans for the future. We are looking to increase our income streams and develop a more business-like approach to ensure we can continue delivering sustainable sleep support in the heart of communities so we can continue reaching those families in greater need.
We are seeking new Chair who is commercially minded and willing to take an active role in our governance and strategic development.
The role of the Chair is to provide leadership and direction to the board of Trustees. The Chair’s aim is to enable the board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of the organisation.
The Chair will ensure that the organisation complies with its governing document, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations and to make sure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
The Chair's role is also to work in partnership with the chief executive / senior paid staff member and support the employees, helping them achieve the aims of the organisation; and to optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
In addition to the general responsibilities of a Trustee, the Chair has a number of tasks specific to their role.
- Experience of strategic business development
- Commitment to the aims and objectives of The Children’s Sleep Charity
- Ability to lead and influence others with tact and diplomacy
- Integrity, strategic vision and independent judgement
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as
- Ability to take decisions for the good of the organisation
- Good communication skills
- Willingness to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others
- An ability to work effectively as a member of a team
- Understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a trustee
- Prior experience of charity governance/committee/trustee work
- Understanding of the issues faced by parents and children with sleep problems
- A wider involvement with the voluntary sector
What difference will you make?
As our new Chair you will pay a pivotal role in helping us achieve our strategic vision and priorities. You will have an active role in ensuring our commercial focus to continue providing our services to our users
What’s in it for the volunteer?
This is a great opportunity to join a highly successful organisation with ambitious plans for the future. You will be bringing your commercial and governance expertise to a collaborative environment where the needs of the service user are at the heart of our cause.
The board meet 4 times each year at our office in Doncaster. We expect the Chair to be actively involved as well as being available for telephone and email contact.
How to apply
Applications must be made via Reach in the first instance. To apply please submit your CV along with a covering letter stating why you wish to join the organisation, how your skills would add value to the board and any other relevant information.