GIS Operations Specialist
AWE are currently recruiting for a GIS Specialist on a permanent basis to work in our ICKM function. This job will be to undertake day-to-day operations within AWE's Geographical Information Systems (GIS) team, focusing on maintaining Sites facility and utility asset configuration baselines within the corporate GIS, provide local software and systems support to the operational platform, provide specialist resource in geospatial analysis and offer local advice for interaction with GIS held asset data.
Location - Reading area
Package - £33,000-£45,000 subject to skills and experience
AWE offer a competitive salary, market leading contributory pension scheme, generous holiday entitlement, excellent work/life balance including a 9 day working fortnight and flexible working hours (role dependant). A salary sacrifice scheme is also available.
- Ensure that the existing technical and end user support to the GIS software systems is continued and expanded upon.
- Maintain configuration control of data modifications within the corporate GIS.
- Manage and deliver bespoke technical GIS services to AWE departments including spatial analysis, network analysis, and 3D modelling as appropriate.
- Ensure that the product delivered to the customer is within the agreed costs and timescales.
- Quality checking and assurance of work undertaken by GIS Technician role.
- Maintain and promote high personal standards in environment, safety, health, security and quality.
- Additional accountabilities for this job profile may be defined and appointed through the Chief Engineer Management Arrangements, with appointees listed within the Company Design Authorities and Technical Authorities, as held in the company management system.
- Customise the GIS where necessary to improve the delivery of day-to-day core business as usual activities
- Maintain the GIS Intranet mapping services, including assisting the development of solutions in response to emerging corporate needs and relevant technological advancements in the industry
- Undertaking GIS data manipulation & analysis through the use of scripts & tools and building these as required
- Supporting the GIS data migration and schema development in line with the goals of the wider asset information community
Skills and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Geographical Information Systems or Geography based course or Relevant GIS application specific certifications.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels with very good written and oral skills.
- Remote sensing and spatial analysis.
- Advanced use of GIS software.
- Highly organised and capable of managing multiple concurrent tasks, whilst maintaining effective judgment in prioritizing, time allocation, delegation and task management.
- Customer focussed with a high attention to detail.
- Knowledge of configuration management and change control.
The ideal applicant must be willing and able to obtain and maintain security clearance.
AWE plays a crucial role in the defence of the United Kingdom by providing and maintaining the warheads for the country's nuclear deterrent. We are a centre of scientific, engineering and technological excellence, with some of the most advanced research, design and production facilities in the world. Our unique expertise also assists the UK Government in developing and delivering a range of innovative and integrated support services, including national nuclear security and counter-terrorism solutions.
AWE is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at AWE, including women, BAME and disabled people.