Trainee Financial Planner
Trainee Financial Planner
Salary up to £30,000 subject to qualifications and experience to date
Location - Ipswich
Swallow Financial Planning:
Swallow Financial Planning was founded over 30 years ago and is recognised as one of the UK’s leading Corporate Chartered Financial Planners.
Our administration office is based in Ipswich however we obtain many clients via our London office. We provide financial advice and investment management to clients across the country. By striving to form long-term relationships, our planners help clients understand and manage their financial affairs throughout the entirety of their lives. Swallow Financial Planning will advise clients on tax, retirement, estate planning and investment management.
The successful candidate can expect a pro-active development programme aimed at fast-tracking a postgraduate into a fully qualified financial planner. Initially, you will be enrolled onto the Diploma for Regulated Financial Planning. This is a six exam course, which typically takes 20 months to complete. Once passed you will be authorised to provide financial advice. This is however the first step on your financial planning career, as the successful candidate will be expected to go on to secure Chartered status which entails a further 6 written exams and a minimum of five years’ industry experience. The right candidates will receive direct mentoring from one of the UK’s most acclaimed Chartered Financial Planners, Andrew Swallow. You can therefore expect to be included in client meetings from the off, and to be actively involved in the advice process.
During your initial training you will gain essential experience within the administrative elements of financial advice to ensure that once you have completed your training you are competent in all aspects of the profession. Swallow Financial Planning is of a firm belief that to become an industry leading planner, you must also understand the back office process.
Should you be offered the position, you will begin on a competitive starting salary. Following completion of a probationary period there may be an additional incentive for each exam that you pass when completing your Diploma in Regulated Financial Planning. After working with us for 1 year we also offer an annual bonus scheme based on personal and business performance, and a pension scheme.
As you gain experience and expertise, your roles within the company will develop as follows:
- Building up relationships with existing and prospective clients.
- Assisting with and preparing financial summaries for clients’ annual reviews (our primary advice activity).
- Preparing reports relative to advice given.
- Maintaining the internal client database.
- Carrying out transactions on our client investment management platform.
- Conducting market wide research, including liaising with product providers.
- Ensuring any advice given complies with FCA and GDPR rules and regulations.
- Attending client meetings, and taking notes. This may entail some travel and home visits.
- Attending industry seminars for training.
- Studying towards your Diploma for Regulated Financial Planning.
- Upon completion of the above, studying towards your Advanced Diploma in Financial Planning to obtain a Chartered qualification.
As and when you build up your experience and knowledge base, you will become more involved with client management. You will therefore be expected to provide your own 'mock advice’ before you are qualified, applying what you learn from your studies to real life scenarios. The eventual culmination of the above will be that you become a fully qualified Chartered Financial Planner, with your own clients and approach to providing expert financial advice.
We feel that to thrive in the demanding, ever-changing nature of financial planning, the successful candidate will need to be highly motivated and will require the following:
- Minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant field of study (finance or business).
- An aptitude for maths and figures.
- The ability to effectively relate to people on a one to one basis.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- The ability to use own initiative and easily adapt.
- Fluency in the use of MS excel and other office suite products.
- Must be prepared to undertake further formal study and sit exams.
The closing date for this position is the 5th July and we expect to carry out interviews in July
Unfortunately we will not be able to respond to everyone, so if you do not hear from us by the end of July you will have been unsuccessful.
Thank you, and we wish you the best of luck with your application.
Agencies and persons looking for accountancy positions need not contact us.