We’re the ENGINEERING behind the excellence.
The SCIENCE behind the security.
The EXPERTS behind the evolution.
Do you have expertise in Software Engineering, an understanding of assembly code and can use that knowledge to provide specialist forensic advice?
We need a Software Engineer to assist with the UK DEF Technical Capability, analysing software embedded in various electronic devices recovered from operational theatres.
As a highly valued team member you will recover and exploit information from captured devices to provide actionable intelligence for the wider intelligence community.
In this role you will:
• Work with team colleagues with assembly code on a variety of processor architectures to examine, analyse and report on electronic devices to ensure stakeholders gain a full understanding of the device.
• Use a professional forensic approach to record a developing understanding of unfamiliar software.
• Develop and test hypotheses relating to code function, based on limited knowledge
• Deliver high quality technical information in an agreed format that is clear, concise and understandable by both technical and non-technical colleagues and customers.
• Maintain accurate case notes, supply reliable information to databases.
• Provide advice to customers to ensure they are able to make informed decisions.
• Work closely with other capabilities, systematically identify links between cases and other significant pieces of intelligence and provide these insights to the customers and colleagues
• Actively plan workflow to meet cost and schedule requirements
• Continually develop your professional expertise and awareness to ensure that you remain an expert in your capability.
To succeed you'll need:
• A working knowledge of compiler and linker functionality
• Experience of scripting language, preferably Python
• Experience of procedural programming language, preferably C (and C++)
• to be able to communicate effectively using range of media to diverse audiences.
• A desire to continuously seek to improve working practices, tools and techniques for the positive development of the capability
• The ability to encourage and support others to embrace change and develop their skills to better meet future challenges
Skills and Experience
• Strong debugging skills
• The ability to develop your understanding of digital electronics and simple circuits
• An ability to monitor the efficiency of procedures and recommend improvement actions
• Excellent organisational and interpersonal skills
• Good information management skills.
Security Clearance Required:
The security of our work means that only UK nationals who have also resided in the UK for the last five years (10 years for certain roles) can be considered. All Dstl positions require full UK Security Clearance. Unfortunately dual nationals are not eligible.