Director of Childcare and Education
Role Profile: Director of Childcare and Education
Happy Days is one of the largest providers of nursery and pre-school care in the South/South West. We're proud that the majority of our nurseries are rated as 'outstanding' or 'good' by Ofsted and we intend to keep it that way, demonstrating how committed to and passionate we are about delivering quality childcare and early years learning.
Happy Days is enjoying a period of sustained growth and will continue to expand throughout the South/South West of England. We have 21 nurseries and counting and aim to add 3-4 sites per annum for the foreseeable future. Although we are growing, we remain small enough that everyone is involved and makes a noticeable impact. We enjoy autonomy and our approach is personable, supportive, proactive and collaborative. Above everything, we care.We care about each other, we care about developing our people and we care about providing the highest quality childcare service to our customers. This is where you come in….
The Role: Director of Childcare and Education
The Director of Childcare and Education role is key in supporting Happy Days to deliver this. Fundamentally, it plays a significant part in the company's growth plan and as a result we are looking for a dedicated, passionate, innovative yet highly pragmatic childcare professional to take the reins, execute our current strategy delivering the highest quality outcomes for children and owning the C&E agenda for 2020 and beyond.
- Developing and implementing the C&E department’s strategy, ensuring it meets business requirements
- Defining the Company's C&E standards, taking into account regulatory requirements, research and best practice.
- Providing guidance to the board on C&E policies and standard issues, ensuring the board and Exec are kept well informed of government changes and business impact.
- Implementing and monitoring a Quality Assurance system to ensure compliance with regulatory and company standards along with sector best practice.
- Taking on the role and responsibility of the nominated person and ensure our nurseries are Ofsted-ready.
- Coordinating OFSTED inspections, ensuring C&E team presence at all inspection.
- Ensuring appropriate investigation of complaints, failures or adverse events requiring documented review and action regarding the delivery of childcare and education.
- Maintaining and improving C&E department's operational performance, to meet the requirements of regulatory authorities, company standards & operational procedures; external and internal customers, with respect to quality and service provision.
- Ownership of the C&E budget in line with strategy and resource, ensuring the department remains within its budgeted expenditure.
- Line managing the team; recruiting and developing a high-quality childcare & education support team - identifying and developing the C&E team structure as the business expands.
- Developing and maintaining professional working relationships with all relevant authorities.
- Providing advice and guidance into the specification and design of new nursery developments.
- Working closely with operations to ensure all settings are appropriately resourced in order to continue offering high quality childcare to all our families whilst delivering the company growth strategy.
- Working closely with the Ops Director and Marketing Manager to ensure marketing materials appropriately reflect the company's ethos.
- Identifying external funding opportunities to support training, individual children's needs, capital projects and operational overheads.
Key Attributes and Skills required for our Director of Childcare and Education
- Level 4 equivalent (or above) in Early Years Care and Education.
- 10+ years practical experience in an Early Years education environment with a good understanding of the reality of delivering 'on the ground’
- 5+ years’ experience of management across a multi-site operation and its associated challenges
- A confident, driven and dynamic leader with the credibility and commercial awareness to advise and influence at a senior level. Values-led and loyal with the ability to inspire confidence in others.
- A strategic and commercial mindset with a passion for continuous improvement and experience in leading business-wide change initiatives. Ability to analyse data and implement plans where necessary to make sound business decisions.
- A proactive and collaborative relationship-builder with strong communication skills.
- Excellent organisational and project management skills with experience managing budgets. Good report writing skills and confidence presenting at board level in a professional manner.
- Results-oriented with the confidence to make decisions under pressure.
- The ability to deal sensitively with, and resolve, conflict and complaints.
- A self-starter, comfortable using their initiative and working autonomously.
- Ability to develop individuals and teams with a positive and motivational leadership style.
As the Director of Childcare and Education, this role provides an excellent opportunity for someone to own the C&E agenda and make a meaningful and valuable contribution to the lives of children by continuing to help us place them at the very heart of all we do. You will relish the opportunity to deliver sector best practice and be highly motivated use your knowledge, insight and skill to stay one step ahead of the competition and make the Happy Days proposition unique.
Joining Happy Days as our Director of Childcare and Education is the perfect fit if you….
- Enjoy a collaborative culture.
- Are committed to going the extra mile.
- Are passionate about delivering outstanding service.
- Explore, produce and embrace new ideas.
To apply, please send a copy of your CV and short expression of interest.