Deputy Nursery Manager
The Brambles Day Nursery is seeking an experienced Deputy Nursery Manager for this purpose built, rapidly developing 45 place Day Nursery on the outskirts of Taunton.
The Brambles Day Nursery provides a safe and stimulating environment, where children thrive to reach their full potential. We are keen to find a dynamic and passionate individual who is ready to take on additional responsibility. The role is to assist the Nursery Managers to provide professional leadership and management of the Nursery, ensuring all children receive the finest standard of care and education.
Hours: 30 per week
Holiday: 28 days per annum pro rata inclusive of 8 statutory holidays
Salary: £21,000 per annum pro rata (rising to £22,000 dependent on qualifications and successful completion of probationary period)
Benefits: Discounted childcare places, ongoing professional development and training
The role of the Deputy Manager is to assist the Nursery Managers to provide professional leadership and management of the nursery and to help ensure that all children receive the highest standards of care and education.
In the absence of the Nursery Manager the Deputy will undertake the overall day to day management of the Nursery. You will hold a full and relevant qualification in Early Years at level 3 or above, understand and ensure the requirements of the EYFS and Ofsted are met and have experience working in a busy Nursery in a leadership position.
Purpose of the Role
- To support the Nursery Managers to ensure the effective daily management of the Nursery
- To have a sound knowledge of all Nursery policies, procedures, statutory welfare requirements and Ofsted expectations and ensure that these are maintained at all times.
- To be a role model to the staff team. To be able to showcase high quality practice with regards to individual and group work with children, dealing with staff and parent issues as they arise.
- To support and actively promote the safety, security and wellbeing of all children, staff and visitors.
- To work alongside the Nursery Managers to lead the Nursery to reach an outstanding grading with Ofsted.
- To play an active role in completing a rigorous action plan that supports the development of areas set out in the Nursery business plan.
- To embrace, understand and promote The Brambles Day Nursery.
- Support the future occupancy levels of the Nursery and work alongside the Managers in making appropriate decisions in relation to staffing.
- To deal with any breaches in Nursery policy and procedures swiftly and in a professional manner.
- Support the Nursery Managers in completing full induction, ongoing supervision and reviews with new staff, offering support and addressing performance concerns as required
- Identify development and training areas throughout the staff team and actively promote continued professional development
- To support and encourage ideas and initiatives to maintain staff engagement.
- To support the Managers in dealing with investigations, disciplinaries and absence management in line with Nursery policy and procedures.
- To motivate and develop the staff team through effective role modelling.
- Support regular meetings and training
- Recognise and reward outstanding practice within the Nursery
- Promote equality and diversity within the Nursery, challenging any behaviour which does not support our inclusive practice and equal opportunities policy.
- To lead on the quality aspects of the Nursery
- Reflect on daily practice and identify areas for continual improvement
- To maintain high quality safeguarding throughout the Nursery.
- To ensure that all children are treated as individuals.
- As part of the Management team, to over see planning and children’s developmental records and ensure that they reflect individual progress and are up to date.
- To role model the Nursery strategies of behaviour management.
- To ensure that any special educational needs are identified early and liaison with the appropriate professional is completed.
- To support effective partnership working with families and the wider community
- To take on the responsibility of Health and Safety management in the Nursery ensuring that all paperwork is completed correctly
- Check premises daily and keep a record of any potential hazards
- To ensure the health and safety of all staff, children and visitors.
- To raise any maintenance concerns to the Manager and keep an ongoing record of this
- Support and develop a child led environment using both indoor and outdoor spaces effectively
- To promote good hygiene practices in the Nursery and maintain high standards of cleanliness.
- To have an understanding of the Nursery budget
- To support the financial sustainability of the Nursery which will include marketing, parent show arounds, promoting events, open days and parents’ evenings
- To develop a sound knowledge of the Nursery management system and ensure that it is always up to date.
- To ensure excellent levels of customer service to all visitors
- To work alongside the Managers to help grow occupancy levels.
- Support the Nursery’s marketing plan and attend marketing events
- To support the Managers in action planning
- A calm and effective leadership stance
- Ability to read and absorb Nursery documentation
- Effective childcare practitioner
- Excellent knowledge of the EYFS and current Ofsted statutory guidance
- Knowledge and proven practical experience of implementing good quality learning opportunities
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- Ability to work as a team
- Able to use own initiative
- Good understanding of IT systems for Early Years
- Good time keeping
- Motivated and able to motivate others
- Reliable and flexible
- Be able to confidently and competently step into the role of Nursery Manager in their absence.
The duties and responsibilities in this job description are not exhaustive or restrictive, changes and other duties relevant to this post may be added. This job description many be reviewed in the future.